Older guinea pig possible pregnancy

Rolothepiggie

Post   » Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 pm

More weight loss today, similar weight loss to yesterday so I would be surprised if she is to be honest. Could have produced some interesting babies though. Dad is a black Sheltie and his Mum is a Black Texel. Cinder is a mixed colour Abyssinian. Is better for her if she isn't pregnant as it would have put a big strain on her.

Rolothepiggie

Post   » Sat May 20, 2017 7:00 am

Her tummy has gone back down to normal size now as well so I think she must have re-absorbed them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 am

It is more likely there may have been mild bloat. Ovarian cysts (if present) have also been known to burst. Reabsorption is rare to non-existent.

Helsu

Post   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:57 am

Anybody have experience on an older pig actually giving birth successfully or is it more likely that they will go to c-section? I have a young male waiting for castration and I was too reliable that he wouldn't get over the fence I build between him and my three sows. But yesterday he did. I found him lying in the cage and have now idea if one or more sows might have been in heat. My sows are four, three and two years old. I work in vet clinic so I'm thinking about x-raying all of them in any case about two months from today just to be sure. And if someone is pregnant I will know how many babies to wait and if all won't come out we will operate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:31 am

I think there are a lot of variables. A heavier guinea pig, for example, may have difficulty. I think your plan to xray them all later to determine who is pregnant is a good one.

Have you had pregnant guinea pig before?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:57 am

Just as a tip -- you always need a lid on the female cage if you've got a male next to them. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage, but can't lift a lid to get to the girls.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Since guinea pigs are in heat about every 17 days, there is only about a 1 in 17 chance that they're pregnant. I've take in a lot of groups of guinea pigs of males and females mixed together and held them for 10 weeks thinking that all would be pregnant and have been pleasantly surprised many times that none turned out to be pregnant.

Helsu

Post   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:05 am

Lynx, never had a pregnant piggy before. Two of them are in normal weight but one is just plain fat.

I've had a pack of two neutered boars and three sows for two years and they live freely in a part of the apartment. They have a cage but it doesn't have a door. Now with the new male I separeted them with a fence which I was sure he could not climb over. But he did and even quite easily... Now the fence is two times higher.

CavyHouse, your experience is calming me a bit :) Let's hope we were lucky!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:16 am

Guinea pigs can really jump if they want to! How high is the fence now? A top to a cage is the most secure.

Helsu

Post   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am

Now the fence is 45 centimeters and has kept the young man away.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Just a warning that some pigs could still jump that high (17.7165").

Helsu

Post   » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:01 am

The 45 centimeter fence has kept the young man away :) What time do you consider best for x-raying the females? In 50-55 days after the suspected impregnating? I think that two of the females are ok, but of course the most fat looks like she could pregnant :/ She hasn't gained any weight but her stomach looks somehow different. Hopefully I'm just paranoid. Anyway I want to check all of them with x-rays to be sure and to know how many pups to expect in case (when) the is some problems with delivery.