Plucky, red eyed, old age cataract

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:14 am

Red eyed pigs are more prone to getting cataract, because of a lack of UV protection for the lens, so I knew Plucky was a candidate for it.

She's almost 7, a heart pig almost 5 years on 3 types of heart meds a day, she's perky, happy, popcorning, running, and still doesn't look like an old lady.

Last month, I noticed that she started bumping into something a few times, and connected the dots when I did the monthly eye check in bright light. My roller blinds are always halfway down, because I have MS and am light sensitive. I am nearsighted, so without glasses, I can see much more detail than people with great vision. I was not so sure that she started getting cataracts. This month, I can see it. I showed hub, he said it's so mild, he can barely see it.

She's smart, so when she starts running, she halts herself to prevent injuries.

So, I caught it in time. I knew about eye drops with a high chance of halting it, improving, or even reversing it if you are lucky, for dogs. Brand names are Bright eyes and Can-C, containing N-acetyl-carnosine.

I asked my local pharmacy first, before consulting the vet, to save Plucky the stress of going and there might not be anything he could do. My instinct was right, the chemical compound, nor the brands, are not available in Belgium. Typical, when you enter the country, you cross the plate that says "End of Civilization", lol, we are still so behind most parts of the world, sigh.

So I ordered it through Amazon Germany last evening, with free shipment by adding something else I needed. Can-C was the cheapest version here, yet it's not cheap. I asked the company what the dosage for piggies is, will keep you updated.

So, did any of you try such drops? Any results? Any other brands or products that help? Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Very interesting! You are so proactive! It would be great if this product helps her. I did not think there was anything that changed the course of cataracts in guinea pigs. Looking forward to updates.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 am

Finally managed to get a pic of Plucky's cataract, from the eye where you can see it most, the other shows it even less. It's mild. Look deeper into the eye, on the left, you can see a grey mini cloud, not the whiter shimmer of the outdoor light on top of it. Will keep you updated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Great pic! Would you like it permanently added to your thread?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Yep, please! Thanks!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:15 am

Since the company didn't reply, except the standard "We will reply asap" thingie, I just figured that 1 drop per eye a day would be the minimal I can give her per day. It has no side-effects, besides that it stings a little.

I tried it on a paper cut I had, you can feel the bite for a minute mildly.

The online data say that it works for 80 %, it's been recent data, as it exists for about 2 years. It's not indicated for humans yet, but that won't take long. It's harmless, has no side-effects if you keep the nozzle free from the eye to keep it clean. 80% stops the cataract, some reverse it, some remove it completely, so stopping it would have been fantastic already, as I caught it early.

3 drops later ... 3 ... only 3!!! And you can see that it HAS GONE DOWN BY 1/3!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked hub to put on his reading glasses and he can't even spot it in one eye anymore. I can, but I'm nearsighted, so my eyes work like a loop at short distance. I was breathless. She even smiles at me after the stinging goes down since yesterday, it takes 2 minutes. She knows why I do that. Bless her sweet smart soul.

Since she woke up rather deaf after her ovarian cyst surgery almost 5 years ago, and she's a happy old lady, I just had to try this to save her from becoming deaf and blind.

Will keep you updated, but this is already extraordinary!!!!! Can you see me wiggling my bum as a happy dance? I do, wooohooo!

Will keep you updated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 am

That is encouraging! If she can keep her vision, that would be great!

This page on human cataracts seems to indicate there is no treatment, only surgery. Many causes. The pattern Plucky has most closely resembles diabetic snowflake cataracts in humans:
http://eyewiki.aao.org/Cataract

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:46 am

This is amazing. Please keep us posted!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Plucky is not diabetic. Her cataract is caused by old age and red eyes, as UV light helps to develop it faster and earlier as well. In 2 months, it became barely visible, so I am not sure that this is a fast onset or not.

Articles:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... acts-dogs/

https://www.vetinfo.com/canine-cataract ... drops.html Here, they speak of a 96% success rate even.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm glad to hear this about Plucky. She is a grand old lady!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 am

Thanks!

4 drops total, and she can spot us winking at her again. I was used to make wind with my hands close to her face lately to grab her attention, at the side that I wanted her to come over too.

At the current rate, I won't be needing the 2nd mini bottle of the pack at all!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 am

Today, she's in the "It's all better now, mom, so I will keep my eyes shut." mood, after I showed her the bottle to make the dripping intentions clear, hahahah!