Cuy Data

llothcat

Post   » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:37 pm

Manubrium...! Sorry about the terrible spelling. Cell phone snafu!

junipurr85

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 am

Our Cuy's name is Ummi.
She's a female, and she is almost 2 years old.
We got her at either a petco or a pet smart (can't remember which is which) in Puyallup, Washington. She is mostly red with a little white and weighs 4.4 pounds. She has normal toes and is very shy but over the last two years has opened up quite a bit. She is dominant over all the other pigs and they do not ever try to fight her about it. I wish I could figure out how to post a photo on here haha she is very cute :)

junipurr85

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:25 am

Sorry I forgot to add something! Ummi gets a little greasy (for lack of a better term) on her belly. It is so bad sometimes her nipples will stick to her belly. We trim the hairs around her rump and legs because if we don't they get matted with poop. So she requires a little more clean-up than the other pigs do.

8ball

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:40 am

Arthur is a one year old boar.

We adopted him in July. Apparently he'd come from a backyard breeder who sold him and 9 others at an animal auction for 50p each. I brought him home along with two others who are of usual weight, size and temperament.

He's solid white with dark ruby eyes and has a bit of long hair on his rear end. His toes are normal. Currently he's just under 4lbs in weight and is 1 1/2 times the size of my other boars.

He's always been very skittish and nervous, doesn't squeak much and doesn't enjoy being handled. He loves floor time though and pelts around, shouting as he goes.

He seems perfectly healthy and has a good appetite. We try to be extra gentle with him so he doesn't get startled. It's almost impossible though!

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Billie Jean: I've posted several times on this thread about Billie Jean. She came to my rescue in the summer of 2011 when she was a very frightened young guinea pig. She''s the most skittish one we've had here, but has settled down a lot now at the age of 6. She got pyometra at the age of 3 and was successfully spayed. At one point she was up to almost 1800 grams but is now around 1300 grams.

Two weeks ago Billie Jean developed a urinary tract infection. She was started on Baytril while waiting for culture results. She improved on Baytril but still has signs of a UTI. She was found to have a large urethral stone which was successfully removed yesterday under anesthesia. Her culture just came back today and she has Enterococcus and Proteus, which both tested highly resistant to Baytril and some of the other standard piggy meds. However, TMS was not tested on the Enterococcus and Doxycycline was not tested on the Proteus so my vet is going to ask the lab to test those. Hopefully we'll find some combination that works.

When cuys first appeared on the scene 6 years ago, I heard that 3 years was a common life span for them. Billie Jean is 6 now and has endured a few tough medical issues. She is responding well from being under anesthesia yesterday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Happy to hear the update. Hoping you can find an antibiotic that will work!

Alliegator

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:15 am

Wow I just read this thread , what a great idea to collect the data , very interesting.6 lb piggies my goodness !

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Billie Jean (aka Wild Rose) passed away yesterday at the age of 6. We did find a drug (Zenequin) to treat the UTI. It cleared up for a while, but returned a few weeks later. She is the last of cuys that I took in during the summer of 2011 when cuys first appeared on the scene in northern California. (Knock on wood) I haven't seen as many cuy in the past year as we used to see.

I'm so happy with the turn-around I saw in her behavior. THe last couple years, she would only make a half-hearted attempt to avoid capture. When she first arrived, everything was a thundering stampede.

She will be missed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear she's gone. It sounds like Billie Jean came to trust you. I think that is the highest complement.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:40 am

I'm sorry. That's a long time for a cuy but still it sucks.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Clint Beastwood (Partial Cuy)

Came home May 2016, he was 14 months at that time

Adopted from Foggy Creek GP Rescue in Maple Valley, WA who also has his 3 sisters

At 2.5 years old, he is currently 4 pounds

He is primarily black with red markings and a tiny bit of white

No abnormalities noted so far

He is very skittish and bulldozes anything in his way, other pigs included. Difficult to catch, but is possible. Will not hesitate to jump (more like launch) over/off of tall objects. Is extremely strong. Is the dominant pig/bully. Once held he will usually settle though and is the best for nail trims. AND I have been able to hand feed him treats on multiple occasions, but he is very cautious.

(Knock on wood) Did experience a URI which was treated. Did notice that he is extremely(!) subtle in his behavior changes if he isn’t feeling well. That primal instinct to survive is extremely developed with this one.

Before I adopted him, he was in a study at WSU where they were studying the outcomes of castration via the abdomen as compared to the scrotum. As far as I know he did well and has not had any complications since.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Are you sure he's a cuy? Some regular boars hit four pounds, and that's kind of light for a cuy, as far as I know.