Suzi has a UTI or something

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:29 pm

Snowflake chewed incessantly at the bars when she was recovering. Pigs just hate to be in cages.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:48 pm

My wish is that someday I will be able to get through a whole day without having to go up to the vet school.

I took off Suzi's bandage contraption to prevent her from chewing, went to get a warm compress to help the swelling, and returned to find she'd pulled off a scab. The twit. She continued to try to pull them off even while I was there.

I swear, this pig is going to drive me crazy. I'm taking her back to the vet at 3pm.

lisam

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:01 pm

Oh my goodness! She's got to be the most difficult guinea pig patient on the board! I wonder what else they can do--maybe some of that liquid skin stuff?

If you put another pig in with her, would it keep her occupied enough to leave her incision alone?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:59 pm

You poor kid. I hate when they don't cooperate. It is probably still healing in spite of her.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:11 pm

I took her in and they kidnapped her again because they thought the gray stuff was necrotic flesh, and they wanted to culture whatever's making her swell and do an antibiotic resistance test on it. And they're keeping her overnight and to be frank, it's one night I won't have to change bandages, get bitten for medicating her, or watch her furiously run in circles and try to take out more of her stitches.

I am so exhausted.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:13 pm

Hold on, salana.

I hope that thing start going better very soon.

Take a nap while you have the chance, and get a good night's sleep.

melcvt00

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:23 pm

Did you take plenty of piddie food with you, or do they have some?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:26 pm

I took in some fresh greens (kale and dandelion) because they hadn't gotten their grocery shipment yet. Every time she's been there, they've fed her hay, veggies, and CC if necessary. I don't know if they have pellets, but frankly, her current opinion on pellets is that they're great to knock out of the bowl and sit on while she eats hay.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:30 pm

I hope that they can get things under control for you. It's best that they keep her there and not release her until you can manage her at home. Better safe than sorry.

You need to get some rest now!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:59 pm

I hope she gets better soon, Salana.

lisam

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:02 am

How's Suzi today?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:48 pm

Still at the vet. They should be culturing whatever's under her incision, or opening it up and cleaning it out and making sure the abdominal wall is okay. Unless they've already done so and she's waking up.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:44 am

Suzi came home today at 5, and then I had to go babysit, and la de da here I am now. She's eating, drinking a little, glaring at Cuddles, talking a lot, and spending a lot of time sitting in her hidey bag (she can't have a hidey house because she'll jump on it, the twit.)

Here are some icky pictures of her incision over three days:

12/13:

12/14:

12/15:

Suzi in her sock sweater, 12/13 (it didn't last long)

8 hours of wearing the bandage produced this mess (note the hair stuck to the tape--taping the bandage to her hair was the only way to get her to keep it on)

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:58 am

The incision today, 12/17, after taking off all the necrotic skin and resuturing with subdermal sutures:

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:02 am

looks a lot better than it did.

Kellyjo

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:11 am

It looks really good!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:36 am

It's actually pinker than the picture, but it's still an immense improvement.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:41 am

That looks SO much better.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:57 am

That does indeed look much better. I hope this is the last time you haveto bring her in for fiddling.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:42 am

How are you keeping her from ripping out the stitches again? It looks much better.

561 posts