Help! Been to the vet twice

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Heya everyone, hope you can help.
We bought two little lads from a pet farm about 2 weeks ago and already had two trips to the vet. First visit just to make sure they were healthy and second because Jimmy started to lose his fur in fairly big patches on his lower back, we was given a spot on treatment and told it would clear up in 7 days. Today is day 9 and both Jimmy and Optimus Prime are nearly fully bald!!! Both are still eating and drinking however when I picked poor Optimus us he has little sores on him now that are pink and sore looking Jimmy is the same all over! Calling the vet first thing but would appreciate some help! Can send pictures if needed!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Are they scratching a lot? Sounds like mites to me. Send the pictures to attach@guinealynx.info, along with your board name and the URL of this thread, and Lynx will post them for you.

Spot On just isn't strong enough to kill a mite infestation. You need a stronger solution of ivermectin to do the job. And they should be treated once a week for three weeks, plus an extra fourth treatment if the infestation was bad.

I'm not sure where you can find ivermectin in your country. Here, we can order it from Amazon, or get it from a farm and feed store. If you can find it near you, post the strength of it (either in percent, or in mg/ml, and we'll help you with the dosage.

If you prefer to have the vet do it, tell him/her you want something stronger than Spot On. If the pigs are still really itchy, ask for some cortisone cream to rub on them, or buy it over the counter. Apply it thinly and rub it in well so they can't ingest it.

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks I'll call into the vet shop and see if I can buy it, I can get some things on amazon too but can take 2 weeks! I'll go to the maxizoo pet shop if the vets don't have it!

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 pm

They are cleaning and scratching loads, the vet said it was mites but he didn't even touch them just looked at them still in their carry cage

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:43 pm

It's actually good that he didn't do anything to diagnose the mites, like a skin scraping. That's painful for the pig and for your pocketbook, misses the mites half the time, and the treatment is the same whatever the scraping shows -- treat for mites.

Since they're scratching a lot, the cortisone cream may help. It won't do anything for the mites, but it should soothe the skin.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Ditto bpatters.

If the spot-on is UK Beaphar it's useless.

Read these first:

https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

If there are any cattle or sheep farms nearby, a feed and seed store should have ivermectin (Stromectol). Alternatively, the vet should be able to sell you Stronghold (selamectin), a newer medication in the same class.

Mange mites are very common in cavies, and severe infestations are pretty obvious. The vet could tell what the problem was really just by looking.

They're uncomfortable right now. See if you can get an appropriate strength of ivermectin, or selamectin, as soon as possible. And please keep us posted!

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

Yea it's a big farming area I live in so we should get sorted! I'll show them the info you've said to me and hopefully it will all be sorted! We've got an appointment at 19:10 today! Will post and tell you how we got on! Fingers crossed we'll get some kinda treatment that will work and at least get something soothing for the boys!!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:27 am

Hoping Jimmy and Optimus Prime feel better real soon. Are you feeding them a good supply of hay? As here mites can be transferred from poor hay. Have had it done several times. We used Revolution the pink one for Puppies and Kittens on our piggies. Worked a charm, did it for each pig for 3 weeks. LOVE the name of your piggies and hoping they feel better real soon.

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm

The name of the hay or provider is fit+fun it's in a closed pack I got from the pet store! When we brought them home we asked if we could take a box of the hay/straw they use just to easy the boys into the new cage but when we where emptying the box there was small bugs in it so we didn't use it. My little 4 yr old named them!! He also calls himself their daddy now, goes around talking about his baby boys!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Mange mites cannot be transferred to guinea pigs from hay unless the hay has been in contact with guinea pigs. Mange mites are unique to guinea pigs.

www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Update!
Back from our lovely new vet, she was great!!
My poor boys have mange mites! Apparently they would of gotten it before they came home. They had two injections each today one for the mites and another was a steroid so they don't do themselves any damage from scratching. Poor Jimmy had an awful seizure after his and we had to calm him with a warm towel and turn the lights off! I can tears from my little boy who didn't know what was goin on. Back again in 7 days for the second dose then again for the third! But hopefully they'll be finished and mite free! She gave me some extra gentle but very effective shampoo too, I've to mix it 1to 10 with water! Might leave them for a few days tho before I shock them again! 😢

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 pm

So glad he is getting treated for mites! They can be so painful.