Help! Been to the vet twice

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 am

Will there fur grow back? I've got my mum knitting tiny coats for them made of cotton for newborns just to keep them cozy

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 am

Will there fur grow back? I've got my mum knitting tiny coats for them made of cotton for newborns just to keep them cozy

I would love to see them in their little coats/shorts. So glad all went well at the vets this time! Yes I think their fur should grow back in most cases.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 am

Here are your pictures. He looks so awful! You also need to read this thread which treated something similar. We actually did not know what worked in the end but the pet owner tried everything. I suspect there could be multiple skin issues. Treating for mites absolutely was the right way to go. Just expect there may be other conditions you may need to treat. And expect multiple ivermectin treatments.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=1&t=96

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:46 am

I wouldn't use knitted coats for them. They'll be able to reach them with their teeth, yarn ravels, and the pig may eat it. The steroid should help with the itching. And yes, the hair should grow back.

daveandtiff

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 pm

The babies are adorable! Though will be so much more comfortable once the skin is settling and healing, poor boys. I hope your treatments will improve their skin quickly. Was also seeing bpatters mention the string risk (strangulation, choking, blockage hazard, the reason we don't use handknit blankets for ours). Is so important to avoid that risk. I guess I would wonder if anything rubbing on the skin could irritate at this stage as well. I have a client whose baby pig had gotten head caught in cage grid, so they can really get themselves into a pickle sometimes. Your Mom is so sweet for thinking to knit these, bless her. Perhaps a homemade veggie surprise or something else they will love, another something she has a talent for?

JimmyOptimus

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 pm

I never thought of the hazards! Will have to go bk to the drawing board! Took some pictures today as they had a nice bath and managed some play time much to my sons delight! We grow our own fruit and veg so they'll be gettin loads while they are poorly my vet said to give them fresh treats everyday too keep them eating, plus of course their dry food too. We have a vegan in the family too so plenty of veggie and fruit treats will be made! Thank you all for your positive and supporting help!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Just fyi -- make sure your kids handle them properly. Guinea pigs can jump and wriggle much more strongly than you might think. I'd suggest having them both sit down on the floor when handling the pigs:

https://www.guinealynx.info/handling.html

You're doing everything right in treating them. They may in fact need additional treatments, but you're definitely on the right track. Keep going, and please keep us posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:22 pm