Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:10 pm

I just read in one of the recent medical thread (Judith's medical thread) that a piggy lost the use of her rear legs because of Baytril. I think the same has happened to Sandy. He started dragging and using less of his rear legs when it was his third day of enrofloxacin and stopped eating the same day. Afrer that he could barely walk. Now I understand that it wasn't the dizziness but his inability to hold himself up on his legs which caused the imbalance and the falling.

I wanted to know if all this is temporary or permanent? (Please, please say temporary)
If temporary, how long does it take a piggy to be back to normal?
If permanent, what should be done ahead?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:00 pm

I don't think there is only one answer to your questions. I hope it is temporary and that she returns to normal in a reasonable amount of time.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:35 am

If permanent (hopefully not, but if):

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15475

If he's not eating, you MUST hand/forcefeed to keep his GI moving and weight up.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:58 pm

I lost my baby Sandy today (16th July,2017). I really thought he was bouncing back to health. After stopping enrofloxacin, he had started eating on his own, though slowly but he used to finish off all his food. Today also he finished his night food and when I gave him breakfast, he wasn't eating. I thought he was full and will eat later.

I was going to be out the entire day today, so left him with my cousin next door. By evening she realised that Sandy wasn't moving and called me to inform about him. She said Sandy ate in the afternoon also. I wonder what must have happened to him suddenly.

I am shattered right now. In the last three and half months this is the second piggy that I have lost. Sandy was going to be 7.1 years tomorrow. He was such a calm and loving piggy. He never fought with anyone. Even when others fought, he stayed away. He enjoyed his own company, never needed anyone. During floor time also, he used to explore everything alone. He has never harassed me for anything. He used to get mad at me for cleaning his poop shoes. He hated it and hated me for torturing him like that but the next minute he used to love me like before. His love was unconditional.

Since the last two days he used to wheek everytime he saw me even when there was food in his cage. I thought he wheeked for cilantro (his favourite) and I told him that he has to eat hay and it wasn't veggie time yet. Now I realise that he wheeked for my attention, he wanted me to hold and pet him, to love him, to make him feel comfortable, to cuddle and kiss him. I feel so bad thinking about all this. I am disappointed with myself for not understanding what he wanted to tell me. I dint even get a chance to bid him goodbye. I am heartbroken. I miss him already :(

RIP Sandy, my baby, my little one. Mama loves you and will always do. I know you are happy up there popcorning like crazy. Stay happy and blessed always :* :*

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that seven is a great age for a guinea pig, and he obviously had a wonderful life with you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Oh, Pooja Mehta, I am so sorry to hear you lost him. He sounds like he was such a special guinea pig - one that was so well-loved. You have all my sympathy. I am sure he knew you loved him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 am

Godspeed and safe passage, Sandy. Your spirit and being are whole, and healthy, now. Comfort and joy to you. You will never be forgotten.

Hugs to you, Pooja.

For him to be noticeably recovering from the Baytril, to be eating better, and to be eating shortly before he passed, tells me he had heart failure or perhaps a stroke. For a piggy over 7 this would not be surprising. He did not suffer, and there is nothing you could have done.

I will take a chance here and guess you may be Hindu. If so -- know that Ganesha smiles upon Sandy now.

As a man, casting worn-out garments,
taketh new ones, so the dweller in the body,
casting off worn-out bodies,
entereth into others that are new...

For certain is death for the born,
and certain is birth for the dead;
therefore over the inevitable
thou shouldst not grieve.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just know that Sandy is now happy and healthy and popcorning all over the place while he waits for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Sending prayers and hugs to you.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Thank you everyone for comforting me. I dint get a chance to tell him how much I loved him. I wonder if he knew :(

Talishan, I am a Hindu. I am surprised as well as happy that you know so much about my culture. I know Lord Ganesha is taking care of him and Sandy is very happy with Him.

RIP little one :*

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Sandy was experiencing impaction when on Enrofloxacin (had a little problem before but not serious). Whenever I was around I used to help him to get the poop out but when he died I wasn't around and he had lots and lots of poop stuck inside. I really wanted to take it out but he had already become stone cold by the time I reached and I felt I shouldn't torture his body like that anymore.

Can impaction cause death?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Not that quickly. Males that are severely impacted for days, weeks or months will obviously have problems if they can't pass stool easily (or at all), but they will also act a lot sicker. It won't happen in a day.

He knows how much you love him. He does not need words. He knew, from the way you handled him, cared for him and treated him. They know.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 am

Cupid's abscess/cyst has ruptured again. Took him to the new vet for a second opinion (since my regular vet said the wound has become too big for a surgery and she wouldn't get enough skin to stitch, also Cupid is old-7.3 years to undergo such a risky surgery)
New vet took a culture to test and after the results told me to start Doxycycline to see if the wound will reduce in size. She said that it is a non-healing ulcerative wound and is self mutilating. She also thinks that Cupid is too old to go through anesthesia for such a long and risky surgery.
She asked me to dissolve 100mg capsule in 10 ml water and give 1 ml to Cupid (725-750grams) twice a day. I have never given capsule to any of my piggy before. I read here that the standard dose is 5mg/kg. And according to what new vet has prescribed, the dosage goes to 10mg/ml. Its really high, dont you think? How much should I actually give him then?