Possibly pregnant Piggy, vet did not take me seriously, said it was "just bloat"

RosieAndDaisy

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:56 pm

I will start out by saying that two weeks ago, we got two guinea Pigs from Petsmart. Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about guinea Pigs. In these past two weeks, my husband and I have spent a great amount of time learning about these wonderful animals. Knowing what I know now, I will never spend a dime at any pet store that sells live animals. We have these little creatures now and we love them. We have completely rearranged our home to fit two Midwest habitats and also have an exercise area for them as well.

So I'm convinced one of my piggies is pregnant. She is a pear-shaped, she's gaining weight(such as 60-70 grams ina single week alone), and we feel a ton of movement from these "lumps" in her belly. We took her to a vet that sees exotic animals. I wanted them to do an ultrasound. The vet palpated her stomach, very hard, I might add, and the vet tech, who said she has bred her guinea Pigs(which should've been a huge clue that she's not particularly Cavy-savvy), said she doesn't think she's pregnant. The vet said the movement we're feeling is her food moving through her GI tract.

They also said her weight gain is normal for young guinea pigs. From what I understand, the average weight gain for young cavies ina week is 20-40 grams, not 70. Vet and vet tech said they think it's bloat or gas, which they said an ultrasound wouldn't be able to pick up on, but an X-ray could. They said to bring her back in a week if her belly hasn't gotten smaller. Here's the thing: I don't believe that this vet is Cavy-savvy at all, because if she was and truly though the issues was bloat, she would realize that bloat can be fatal in guinea Pigs and would've done more to confirm that diagnosis and treat it if that were the case. She also failed to ask about her eating habits and her poop, which bloat would affect.

She could be a dead in a week if it were bloat. Luckily I don't think it is, because she's eating and drinking fine, doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, and her poop is completely normal, and so is the frequency of her poop. This vet could've done an X-ray and could've confirms either of those diagnoses.

Oh yeah and she lost tons of credibility in my eyes because she said you can give them yogurt for the probiotics(I'll stick with the bene-bac) and said that guinea Pigs can start getting pregnant at 3-4 months old(umm try 4 weeks old). So as of now, we're taking precautions as if she were pregnant until we find out otherwise. We're also taking her another vet this week, where I will be insisting on diagnostic testing of some sort. So basically I would like input on how to handle this. What test should I insist that they perform? What should I do in general, such as any advice?

Because we're feeling bodies moving within her, I'm thinking she's 10-15 days away from delivering. Also we have her in a large cage right now, but it's still not the size she should be in, we finally got out Midwest cages delivered and I want to put her in it but I'm afraid that the change in her environment will stress her out, but then again, being a cage that is too small probably already stresses her out. Should I go ahead with the switch or should I hold off and ask the (hopefully Cavy-savvy) vet what we should do? Thanks in advance for all input!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Your post was impossible to read (one huge block of text). I broke it into random paragraphs so I could read it. Will do so in a moment. Please break up your posts in the future.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:12 pm

It sounds like you have done your homework and it also sounds likely your guinea pig is pregnant. I take it you have read everything in the reproductive section?
www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
www.guinealynx.info/labor.html

If you have a picture, that would be helpful. You can send it to me to post if you don't have a place to host it and if it is clear and crisp. The pic of Dutchess on the reproduction page shows how pregnant a guinea pig can look!

Here is my email:

daveandtiff

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 am

If babies are coming, if you confirm pregnancy, the cage will have to accommodate the babies for their safety, so they are not getting heads caught inside grid holes or between bars. There may be a spot on this site that gives info on safety for babies. Otherwise, a peaceful, quiet and darker area with hideys for Mom when it's time to give birth.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 am

Our vet list:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=37&t=243

Blessings and good luck to her and to you. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am

I think you are right-on, RosieAndDaisy! Lining up a good vet (I guess not the one you just saw) will give you someone to see if there are complications.

Here are the pics you sent me:

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

What a beautiful little pig.

I *think* the grid spacing on the Midwest cages is okay for babies, but I don't own one and can't say for sure.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/g ... ofing.html

Is she still with her cagemate, and if so are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that cagemate is also female?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Good point! If you have any question, take a clear crisp picture of the other guinea pig's genitals and email it to me (I will post it).

RosieAndDaisy

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Thank you so much for all the input!! We're definitely gonna be baby-proofing because she is indeed pregnant. We,thankfully, found a wonderful vet in our area. She is very thorough and checked out her teeth and gut sounds, which is the first vet to do so. She did an ultrasound and found two babies. I feel very confident in this vet's knowledge. She also said she's about a month along.

Our other guinea Pig has been in quarantine since we got them both so they are separated. We also have an appointment for our other guinea Pig with this vet on August 4th, where I will ask the vet to confirm if she is also a female or not. I'm also learning about how to care for her babies, because I understand that things can go wrong during birth, as well as what to watch out for during and after the birth, and when to take her in to the vet in case of emergency.

Well also be keeping the babies, we have a total of three Midwest cages that can be combined, with each cage offering 8 sq ft. and will be separating any males babies at 3 weeks, will also be consulting the vet to properly sex the babies to make triple sure. It is unfortunate that Petsmart sold a pregnant and later sick pig, but this is reality and we will be making the best of this by being knowledgable and prepared. I will be posting pics of Rosie and later on her babies.

Our other guinea Pig is an Abyssinian and is a little spitfire, if I can get a pic of her genitals, I will email Lynx the pics and have her post them. Thanks again so much for all of your guys' input. We literally have had these little piggies for exactly 3 weeks today but our lives have completely changed and we love them.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:26 am

**Bless you and thank you** for being willing and able to keep the pups, finding a good vet, and educating yourself on their care. This happens *so* frequently. I wish all owners were as responsible and caring as you.

Both mom and pups will need extra calcium. Rosie is still a baby herself, and is still growing in addition, now, to nourishing her pups.

High calcium foods can cause problems later on in life, but for now they need an alfalfa-based pellet. Alfalfa hay is good too, if you can find some that's not too stickery. Parsley and dandelion greens are high in calcium, as well as in vitamin C, and pigs generally love them.

Very best wishes and good luck to them and to you. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

RosieAndDaisy

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Just a bit of an update on Mama to be, Rosie. I'm pretty sure she is close to having her babies. She's gotten huge, babies are very active as we can SEE them moving in her belly, her pelvic bones have started to separate, and she's getting more and more tired.

We had a divider in her cage that separated the play/sleep area from the eating area, but I noticed that she would just sleep under the ramp in the eating area in order to be closer to her food and water, so I took it out and put her pigloo right next to the eating area. I also baby-proofed the cage with cardboard and sheets on the outside so as to help prevent drafts.

So as of now, we're on stand-by. Emergency vet number saved, carrier and vet records ready and I'll be sleeping in the living room just to keep an ear/eye out for any problems.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

It sounds like you are ready! I hope all goes well. Once they are born, start a routine of weighing mom and babies daily and then change to weekly once it seems they are doing okay. Links to pup weights from this page:
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html