URI vs. Depression (How to Help Newly Single Pig)

agapp

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm

This morning, we had to put down my sweet five-year-old pig due to a rapidly escalating URI which led to seizures. He'd been a bit lethargic for the past three days, but I presumed it was the heat and a bit of dehydration. Last night, he took a turn for the worse with labored breathing (no noises, though) and ocular discharge. While examining him, I noted that his top right tooth appeared to be cracked down the middle, but it didn't seem to be bothering him. I brought him to the vet at the crack of dawn today, and they found that there was actually a great deal of pus around the tooth and thought that the URI developed from the abscess. They thought his prognosis was decent enough (at the very least, the vet told me that she didn't think he was on death's door). Unfortunately, he began to seize and we made the heartbreaking decision to euthanize him. This leaves me with his brother, Albert, who is also five-years-old. They lived together in a 2x5 C&C cage (which I sterilized with bleach this morning upon veterinary recommendation). The vet is concerned about the remaining piggy as the deceased pig apparently had pretty advanced respiratory issues. Albert seems to be physically healthy-- he's eating and pooping as normal. But at the same time, I'm paranoid that I won't be able to differentiate between post-loss depression and URI symptoms. He has a well visit set for Friday, but I know all too well how quickly piggies can decompensate, so I'm just super worried (and yes, a lot of it is probably related to the fact that his death is so fresh in my mind, and that we lost my first pig to a URI following dental surgery four years ago this month). I would love to hear about differentiating between illness and depression, as well as keeping remaining piggies engaged and active without a buddy. Considering Albert's age, and that I'm going to head to college within a year, a new buddy doesn't seem logical. Thanks-- I hope this is coherent but I'm happy to clarify anything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:13 pm

I encourage you to read over alone.html for some ideas.
As for also being ill, weigh daily for a while and observe for signs of illness.
emergency.html

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your other guinea pig.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, little one, you are loved and missed.

Albert is only in middle age, so I hope you've made plans for his care after you leave for college. He could still have years of good living ahead of him.

agapp

Post   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you, Lynx and GrannyJu1. I appreciate the resources, Lynx.

GrannyJu1, that's a great point, thanks. He is very healthy at the moment, and, barring any unexpected bumps, I hope and expect to have him for a good while longer. Depending on where I'm accepted/enroll, he will either be coming with me or living with my pig-loving younger brother and parents.

agapp

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:22 am

Sweet Albert visited the vet yesterday, and returned with a clean bill of health. He's holding up very well :) Thanks to all for the reassurance earlier this week.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:56 pm

Excellent news!