Palliative care for 9 year old boy

Darling

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 pm

My pig's name is Santino and he's 9 years old. He's on 6 medications for arthritis and an enlarged heart, plus laser treatments twice a week (down from 3). He has no use of his back legs and one of his front legs is starting to give out so he doesn't really move anymore. Sometimes he'll drag himself few inches, but spends most of his time lying on his side, with his upper body upright (both front feet on the ground).

I soak him in warm water twice a day (after his dose of tramadol) and every few days I shampoo him. I feed him 20 cc of critical care three times a day. I set him upright several times a day (only when he's awake) to prevent him from getting sores. Both front feet have bumblefoot, which is also being treated by the laser.

With all of this going on, he still purrs when I pet him, looks up when someone walks by his cage, and loves eating. He's never been able to "wheek", so I taught him how to ring a bell instead, but he can no longer reach it, so he's silent. He's a wonderful boy and has a great vet team looking after him. His vet is treating Santino as his own and doesn't think we should euthanize him since he's still eating and enjoying affection.

I'm trying to do good things for him to make sure he's happy, but I can't help questioning myself. It's very hard for me to see him like this and I ask myself if it's harder for me to watch him like this or is it harder for him to exist like this?

We use Care Credit for his treatment, so that's not the problem. I don't at all mind giving him his baths and moving him around as he needs it. I see it as though he's a person in a nursing home. Mentally he's fine, it's his body that's failing.

I don't really know what I'm expecting here, but I was hoping to get some opinions on the situation. What are some other things I should be doing for him? Any ideas on increasing his comfort? If you've been at this place before, how did you know when to euthanize?

I'm relying on his vet to answer that last question, but I'd still like your thoughts on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm

This is a difficult decision. It sounds like you love your guinea pig a great deal. I am so sorry he is so ill. I don't know if you have read this page but it might help:
https://www.guinealynx.info/euthanasia.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 pm

"With all of this going on, he still purrs when I pet him, looks up when someone walks by his cage, and loves eating."

Not time yet.

You're doing a beautiful job caring for him.

At our house -- if they are in severe, unremitting, untreatable pain, or if they are listless, uninterested in food, their surroundings, their cagemate(s, if any) or us -- if they've essentially withdrawn and lost their personalities, their selves -- it's time.

Trust your gut. If or when the time comes, you will know.

I look at it this way: guinea pigs don't think, or worry about, or fear, what's coming. If they have bad days, they feel awful. If followed by a good day, they're fine. If they wake up, breathe clean air, have good food and water, they are alive, they are here and that's good.

They don't see themselves disabled. You do. They don't think about it, you do. They only know they are alive, and that's all that matters. They want to live, until they don't.

Look at it more like he does, and you will know if or when that time comes.

Thank you and bless you for caring for him so well. Walk with him, one day at the time.

guineapiggirl05

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 pm

If it were me, I'd put him down. You're doing all you can for him, but he doesn't have the best quality of life. I know it's hard to let go, but sometimes it's just their time. I am not trying to put you down or make you feel bad, but there is always another side to things. Whenever you think he's ready, then do it. He seems like a beautiful boy who doesn't deserve to leave you. Just think about it.

With sympathy,
Gia xoxo

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Your description reminds me of our eldest boy as he later developed a bit of dysplasia. I alternated floor time and pillow time (he was less mobile as yours so sleeping on a bed pillow in his cage covered partially with light baby blanket gave him the most comfortable and full sleep. I would roll towels and place around pillow as a safety net). For another, had used a chenille bath rug (the kind with thicker finger like protrusions) covered by blanket over bottom of cage which was another way to alleviate pressure spots. Both might be nice for Santino given the bumblefoot and side resting. Massage is also a nice way to bring oxygen and nutrients to muscles and tissue, and touch is very comforting. Ours would fall asleep quickly into dreams during massage. Even with the discomfort of regular tooth filings and dysplasia, he showed interest in his brothers and us. He enjoyed snuggles, outdoors grass time. He also had become quiet, and possibly had lost some hearing, but I think that's part of getting older. Just focus on the now, hopefully the bumblefoot will heal soon. He doesn't sound ready by the way you describe.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:34 am

I would continue as you are. Sounds like to me just old age. If he's still interested in food(like most men)and in you then I would keep going. When our Jessie and Jasmine had arthritis we would massage, maybe this will help Santino with pressure sores and any aches and pains. Nine years is amazing life for a piggy. You will know when it's time when you look into his eyes and find him gone. But as yet it's not time. Sending big hugs to you both!

Try giving him cuddles when watching the TV, wrapped in a towel. Ours use to and still do the ones we have love/d it.

Darling

Post   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am

Thank you all for giving me your thoughts and advice.

The trending thought is that I'll know when it's time, but I doubt myself sometimes. I'll try to keep my own thoughts out of it and rely on how he's feeling day by day and keep in mind that's how he lives, one day at a time.

I keep layers of fleece under him to prevent soreness and massage him sometimes, but will now make that a part of his daily routine. He had laser treatment on Monday and they showed me how to move and gently stretch his legs. I think adding massage is a great idea. He goes again tomorrow for another treatment.

Thank you again, everyone. If it's okay, I'll try to update this with his progress over time. I'm sure reading your suggestions would be useful for someone else in similar situation!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm

We'd love updates. He sounds like an amazing pig.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:34 pm

You'll know in your heart if/when the time comes. I've been in that situation. You don't completely trust your observations and instincts; after all, they can't talk, and you're not a vet, right?

Wrong. You'll know. Keep your mind and heart clear; walk with him, one day at the time. He will either leave you at home, in comfortable, familiar surroundings, or you will know. Trust your gut.

My very best to him and to you. Do keep us posted.

Rome_Italy

Post   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:38 am

I would go on! he is not suffering at all and also my grand-grand mother lived (and wanted to live) sit on a chair, just eating and doing nothing else.
Of course, my opinion might change if you had written that your quality of life is going down because of all these cares and money spent... that would be another subject...

Darling

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:06 pm

He had his 10th laser treatment this morning. He has gained 40 grams since they saw him last week. They wanted me to feed him critical care (20 cc 3x/day) but when I try he acts like I'm insulting his ancestors, so I used my coffee grinder to grind up his Oxbow pellets instead. I sneak a bit of critical care in that mixture and he loves it. Gobbles it up. Like a pig :P

Good things for him. He still loves carrots and discovered he's a fan of mango. He's eating less hay and drinking less water, though. I think it might be okay since I'm syringe feeding him and I make the mixture with Pedialyte and water. He's eating 35cc per feeding (sometimes a bit more).

He sleeps most of the time. He has 2 more laser treatments left and then we're done. I told them that I don't think we're going to do another 12 since he no longer walks. They're fine with that, so we'll just continue maintaining his comfort.

Thank you all again for offering your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Wishing you both some good days! I'm glad you found some food he likes.