Urinalysis increased bilirubin / protein

daveandtiff

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 pm

I was just wondering if the stone could get stuck in urethra if the stone is too large to pass, where shilintong may relax the urethra.

There has been red blood in urine this past week, but what would make urine brown? This may be what I was seeing earlier, brownish pee (that I was thinking was pee with poop from his boar butt smeared over it at the time, but now am seeing it seems to be the pee that is brown). It's a medium brown as soon as it comes out.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Brown is usually oxidized blood, not fresh.

daveandtiff

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm

bpatters, when blood sits for awhile on blanket I've seen it turn brown as it dries, assuming as air works on it, but I was holding him for feeding and while on a clean spot of blanket he peed. I looked right away and it was brown. This happened a few times so that's what I thought was odd. Can it oxidize while in the body?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Yes, if it's not fresh. I don't know how long it takes to do that, however.

daveandtiff

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Okay, was really worried about what it could mean. I know it's not good that there's blood at all in any form. Am just hoping old blood or not seeing red maybe is at least not active bleed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 pm

If it has an orangish tinge, it may be porphyrins.

daveandtiff

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 pm

There may be porphyrins mixed in, too, but it's definitely brown. Was seeing brown prior to his diagnosis, too, but was thinking it was poop from his boar butt smeared over urine spot where he tends to stay in one spot for a length of time. For a week, he's been showing more red in urine, especially since the weekend, and today more brown.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:05 am

Does the more-brown stuff have any different, bad or odd odor to it?

How much time: if he becomes fully obstructed, you will know it. He will be *screaming*. A competent ER vet will be able to draw urine out of the bladder using an ultrasound-guided needle. That will relieve pressure on the bladder while surgical options are considered.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:05 am

It still smells like urine with undertone of blood. Keep smelling it to detect any sort of infection smell. I think I'll try urine strip when home shortly between visits to see if it might pick up wbc' s and take his temperature again. He did feel warm, but don't think unusually so. He got a decent amount of syringe food and watered juice and has been scavenging better.

The idea of him blocked makes me nervous about when it could happen, if at a time exotics doctors or surgeons off duty. Am going to keep praying this doesn't happen. He is grunting or squealing briefly when pushing poop, lightly crying when peeing. It's seems like a brief stabbing pain during poop push and then he returns to eating or sometimes just sits. I've put light pressure after with a finger on underside to side of bladder and he stops whimpering (finger between crook of leg to reach without moving him). Not sure if helps truly, but hope. Extracting poops often so he doesn't have to push and he's eating a good portion of them. Would vibrating surface be too much for him, could it bring on more blood? Have hesitated to do this for this reason, though was wondering if vibration could help to dampen or change pain signals and float debris for peeing out if new stuff is forming. Would having him stand during pee help navigate debris out with gravity (we've done this a few times)? Is his metacam dose (0.25ml bid) strong enough based on his behaviour? Not sure if should increase it.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:13 am

Was able to get a very good urine sample and blood (red) really showed up in the urine this time. WBC's looked neg on the strip and protein was off (but this could be anyway). Temp was 100.9. Otherwise, he was going after his new vegetation and looking alert.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:08 am

I am guessing the vibrating could be a plus. It might help things move out of the urinary tract and be distracting and in a way soothing.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Might try it today when he seems to be showing more need. He is definitely getting around for things to eat in between rest/sleep. It doesn't seem to be causing a significant lingering pain, the intensity more at the time of his pee/poop and a little bit following. Had put a call in to doctor to see if the stone image on xray can be measured and mentioned considering shilintong. Will post what I hear after call back.