Urinalysis increased bilirubin / protein

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 pm


Without reading back, is there any reason you're not having it surgically removed?

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm


Well, just finished with our feeding. He was much better with it this afternoon than this morning (he's come to enjoy banana in small portion so needed to mash a bit into the juice where no time to clean juicer parts without a delay and him going to nap. juice was an epic fail, even though the ingredients were the same :}). He was (phew) eating and eating from his produce pile, but had to be encouraged to it. Waited awhile until he was finished.

Poop Soup Talk (Talishan, and fellow pooper scoopers) ~ I think today I've pulled out more poops for him to eat than a pig pulls out of his/her own butt. He approves, and is looking for my hand before I'm even halfway there :)

bpatters, yes, we are considering this, and am nervous with his age and lack of interest in the syringe (he's been practicing, but not taking to it still, all is my effort right about now unless he is really liking a juice. Am thinking his mouth is smaller possibly and he just is having a hard time accepting, of all of them, would not have thought it would be him, he who has loved critical care on spoon all his life). I know this surgery, for younger girls. Their Mom was up with me on facebook asking (because I had one girl post-op earlier that day to help them), "Do you think she is going to make it?" Really, I could not answer that. It was really that worrisome. I think alot of it was the buprenorphine at first, but this carried on for days even after bup was d/c'd. I know Nutter has will with certain things, but is very passive with other things (almost like a sandbag when you move him). I don't know what this says about his ability to fight after surgery and accept feedings enough to actually swallow vs spit out. So am nervous about the concept. Will have to have a cardiac eval as well. And am not sure who we would use for a surgeon, who would have the best success. I would prefer gas anesthesia for him if we have to go this route. Right now, though, am trying to give him as much comfort as possible. I wonder if metacam is enough? If his organs are okay to continue with it (we haven't had a chem panel or any bloodwork on him through his life). Does this act as a thinner and allow more bleed (I think it does)? Alot of thoughts going through my head right now, trying to do what is in his best interest that will be his least amount of suffering. Have read different thoughts from people going through it with their pigs, very mixed. I think it's hard enough when they're younger with this surgery, though age is not always as much a factor if they are overall healthy enough for a surgery. Will plays a role. We may have ultrasound to check heart first. Trying to keep his immune system up, good rest, peaceful and happy moments with the others, enjoyment with his foods/grass, exercise, stable weight, so if we get to a point we need to do this he will be as prepared as possible.

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:33 pm


At his last exam, doctor did listen to his heart and did not hear arrhythmia so hopefully this is pointing to a healthy heart still. His Brother (we were told they were brothers) did have a heart attack last November unexpectedly shortly after he was going to town emphatically on his food pile. So this is one reason, besides his age, that I would really want the cardiac eval beforehand.

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 am


We ended up in ER for most of night and was not a good experience. Nearly nothing was done or able to be done (ie diagnostic tools). Nutter hasn't been going for food (yesterday) other than a couple of blades of grass and a couple pieces of a leaf of chard. Shows some interest in a treat, but then doesn't eat it, or complete disinterest at all often, too. When I syringe feed he chews a few times then dribbles it out or lets it sit, isn't swallowing. Have maybe seen him swallow a few times in the past 12hrs. Doctor was inexperienced with pigs it seemed, would not give reglan and would only offer buprenex injection or possibly subligual, which was afraid would knock him out where he would not eat at all and that would put us into a worse situation (one that I am worried about already), stasis.

I gave him his metacam early at 11:30p, previously given 1p, but don't know what else we can do right now if he's not swallowing or going for things on his own. Am going to try to pick him up again to feed. He's been grunting and pushing alot more today, the same way he was when trying to push out poops. The stone may be causing him discomfort, though am not seeing obvious blood, just a couple of tiny dots of blood seen early. He is also slightly wobbly and protesting more when his legs are moved on feeding pillow.

What else can be done if he's not taking in food and actually swallowing? He looks exhausted, but not sure that he's preparing to leave us. But am worried this could happy. His incisors are even. I believe his molars were checked 3wks ago and he was eating well enough yesterday.

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:25 am


He will not swallow his food. He accepts it into his mouth, chews (or doesn't chew) a few times, then either lets it sit there or spits it out. He grabbed a piece of vegetation and then left it, so a speck of interest, but he's just not getting anything in, including all favourites. I think we're losing him. He's alert enough with a slight fog, trying to make himself more comfortable as much as he has strength to, but otherwise wants to just stay in one spot and be left alone. I don't know if we're missing something that could be corrected. It's been 20hrs of this now, so I worry without the reglan or pain med other than metacam that we may be unable to change things. Would it be too late for reglan? I'm not a fan of buprenorphine, but am wondering if it should be given for the sake of comfort during last moments. I won't bring him in anywhere at this point, he had enough from the long trip last night and needs peace.

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 am


He is still pushing (grunting) his poops out, which are smaller now and teardrop shaped, but somehow moist.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 am


I am sorry he is having such a difficult time.

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am


At this point, am trying to keep him comfortable. I am periodically trying to feed him, but he just won't swallow the food. I called doctor's office and they are referring me back to emergency hospitals or another general practice that has more doctors. They won't dispense any other pain medication. Referred me up to NH to see the doctor who used to work with them. I cannot take him on the road again, he had enough last night and he's not in condition to be traveling right now, he is passing from what I can see. I don't know if it could change with pain medication and the only option here other than metacam is buprenorphine, which would completely knock him out (he certainly would be far less likely to eat/swallow, from my experience seeing others on it), but if he's got discomfort that isn't being fully managed by metacam and he is nearing his last moments am considering it since no one will dispense tramadol and buprenorphine seems to be the only option.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 am


I'm so sorry.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am


I am so sorry for you.

User avatar
daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am


Does anyone know why the ER would not prescribe reglan? He was about 10-12hrs without eating much other than a blade of grass or tiny piece of chard. Doctor claimed he heard "good gut sounds", and poops were still looking okay (of course, they were probably created from food he ate the day before or very early morning). I told him without him eating, all of this would look different in a few hours, he had already lost 15g. But the doctor would just not give reglan, stating he's seen it cause diarrhea, etc.

I thought this was a pretty common med, so long as blockage was ruled out. We were given it in the past, clients have a good amount of this on hand incase needed. One uses it regularly now.

Post Reply
91 posts