Urinalysis increased bilirubin / protein

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:25 am

He will not swallow his food. He accepts it into his mouth, chews (or doesn't chew) a few times, then either lets it sit there or spits it out. He grabbed a piece of vegetation and then left it, so a speck of interest, but he's just not getting anything in, including all favourites. I think we're losing him. He's alert enough with a slight fog, trying to make himself more comfortable as much as he has strength to, but otherwise wants to just stay in one spot and be left alone. I don't know if we're missing something that could be corrected. It's been 20hrs of this now, so I worry without the reglan or pain med other than metacam that we may be unable to change things. Would it be too late for reglan? I'm not a fan of buprenorphine, but am wondering if it should be given for the sake of comfort during last moments. I won't bring him in anywhere at this point, he had enough from the long trip last night and needs peace.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 am

He is still pushing (grunting) his poops out, which are smaller now and teardrop shaped, but somehow moist.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 am

I am sorry he is having such a difficult time.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am

At this point, am trying to keep him comfortable. I am periodically trying to feed him, but he just won't swallow the food. I called doctor's office and they are referring me back to emergency hospitals or another general practice that has more doctors. They won't dispense any other pain medication. Referred me up to NH to see the doctor who used to work with them. I cannot take him on the road again, he had enough last night and he's not in condition to be traveling right now, he is passing from what I can see. I don't know if it could change with pain medication and the only option here other than metacam is buprenorphine, which would completely knock him out (he certainly would be far less likely to eat/swallow, from my experience seeing others on it), but if he's got discomfort that isn't being fully managed by metacam and he is nearing his last moments am considering it since no one will dispense tramadol and buprenorphine seems to be the only option.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 am

I'm so sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am

I am so sorry for you.

daveandtiff

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am

Does anyone know why the ER would not prescribe reglan? He was about 10-12hrs without eating much other than a blade of grass or tiny piece of chard. Doctor claimed he heard "good gut sounds", and poops were still looking okay (of course, they were probably created from food he ate the day before or very early morning). I told him without him eating, all of this would look different in a few hours, he had already lost 15g. But the doctor would just not give reglan, stating he's seen it cause diarrhea, etc.

I thought this was a pretty common med, so long as blockage was ruled out. We were given it in the past, clients have a good amount of this on hand incase needed. One uses it regularly now.