Blue, Cloudy, and Squinted Eye

Ceschloe

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:45 pm

My guinea pig has just recently started acting strange. She doesn't seem to eat quite as much hay and doesn't seem excited for food time at all (although once I place the food down she will eat and has been eating her dry food and veggies). Anyways, a day later I noticed one of her eyes is squinted and cloudy, and also had a blue tint to it. We are going to try to call the vet, but any ideas of what it might be or how to help it? I was also wondering if critics care would be nessesary. Thanks for the help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:20 pm

The eye problem is most likely due to a hay poke, although there are other possibilities, but not as common.

She's likely not eating because she's in pain -- eye injuries are incredibly painful, and you should get her to a vet sooner rather than later.

If she's not eating enough, you should definitely feed her Critical Care or a pellet mash. The rule of thumb for hand feeding a pig is 100+ cc. of Critical Care for every kilogram that the pig weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings around the clock. You adjust that downward if the pig is lighter, upward if heavier. And you adjust downward if the pig is eating something. If she's eating half her normal amount, feed her 50 cc. of Critical Care. If she is eating something, you can also decrease the number of feedings. Just be sure she gets one just before you go to bed and as soon as you get up in the morning.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Would you like us to move your post to the Medical Forum?

3 posts • Page 1 of 1