Help...what would you do.

babs_me72

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:31 pm

I have a just 3 years old male, Teddy, who has been through a lot since last Wed when he was diagnosed with a URI. The baytril caused loss of appetite... started hand feeding critical care on Friday.... stopped oral ABs Saturday. Took him back to the vet Monday. Lungs sounded better...vet prescribed nasal ABs...give for 7 days. He perked back up Tuesday and Wednesday. Then stressed out when I went to give him his drops Thursday morning...loss of appetite by that evening. Fed critical care that night. Little bit of an appetite next morning...but for the most part not eating much.

Took him to his follow up appointment yesterday. Vet said lungs were clear and his nose was sounding better. GI system still active. When I told her what had happened Thursday morning and how he was acting at the vet she said he was over stressed and to stop giving the nose drops and give him some time to relax...not to hand feed either for a day and see if he destresses.

He did poop loose stools on the way home. He ate some pellets and little bit of hay and drank some water when we got home. But today he munched on a piece of bell pepper but didn't finish it and has just been hunched in his house.

At times he kind of twitches like he is falling asleep and starts to lay over then sits back up.

Does it seem like he is giving up? Do I leave him alone the rest of the day and night or should I hand feed him critical care? What would you do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Are you seeing an exotic vet? Because I wouldn't trust any vet that told me not to hand-feed a pig that's not eating. They're wired to need food moving through their gut at all times, and painful, even fatal complications can happen if they don't.

I would definitely hand feed him (see https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html). I would also get some infant simethicone and give him 3-4 doses per day, 1/4 of the infant dose.

If he's hunched up, he's probably in pain for some reason. Or else he's just sick. Is there an emergency vet anywhere close to you that knows anything about guinea pigs?

babs_me72

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:47 pm

No, the er vet near me doesn't know anything about cavy's. I still have quite a bit of critical care. He doesn't show signs of pain when I hold him.

I will feed him tonight. She didn't say to stop hand feeding completely, just today and see how he does.

babs_me72

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:22 pm

I have a stethoscope and will listen to his tummy too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:03 am

The rule of thumb for hand-feeding pigs is that a pig who's eating nothing on its own needs 100+ cc of Critical Care for every kilogram it weighs, every day, broken into 6-8 feedings around the clock. You adjust down or up if the pig weighs more or less than one kilogram, and adjust down for however much other food its eating.

You do need to find a good exotic vet.

babs_me72

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:52 am

Yes, I researched all of that about feeding when I was given critical care on Friday.

Unfortunately there are not any just exotic vets close to me. I have to rely on vets that see cavy's.

The vet I have been taking him to is really good and came highly recommended by other vets in the area for cavy's. I trust her.

babs_me72

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:54 pm

I live in California City, CA. In the Antelope Valley. I am not going to stress him out by driving two or more hours to see a vet... but thanks for the info.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:00 pm

There are exotic vets in Bakersfield. To me, it would be totally worth it to take my pig to an exotic vet rather than trusting it to a small animal vet.

babs_me72

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:30 pm

I just did some research and found out that the vet I have been taking him to is listed as an exotic pet doctor.

From anyone's experience with hand feeding critical care...how long/many days did you feed before your cavy began to eat on their own?

babs_me72

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I said goodbye to him today as he was getting worse. This thread can be closed. Babs

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him.