Guinea pig with inner ear infection not eating

beefyduck

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 pm

My two year old guinea pig Beef has a head tilt that appeared overnight. We took him to a vet where she checked his ears. She didn't find any mites or bacteria in his ear and said he could have an inner ear infection. She prescribed .1 cc of baytril for 10 days and treated him with revolution.

Today is day 2 for Beef on baytril. The poor guy falls on his side if he tries to walk. He won't eat vegetables or drink water and hides away in his house all day. Occasionally he'll go over to the pellets and eat maybe one or two, same for the timothy hay.

I know anorexia is serious in guinea pigs so how can I get him to eat and drink more? And is there anything I can do to make him even a little bit less miserable?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:02 pm

You need to hand feed him. Guinea pigs require food to be moving through their GI tract at all times, or they'll develop bloat or painful stomach ulcers that can eat holes in their stomachs. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html.

The rule is that a guinea pig that's not eating anything else needs 100+ cc. of Critical Care or pellet mash for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings around the clock. Adjust up or down for weight, and down for any food that he is still eating.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1