Loss of cage mate

babs_me72

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Hello. Had to say goodbye to Teddy today. Now I just have Snickers... seems to be okay so far.

My question is what kind of stuffed animal is safe to give him for comfort? I have several and wanted to know if there are some kinds of "fur" I shouldn't give?

Thanks. Babs

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 pm

The main thing to avoid is things that can be chewed off that might choke him, like button eyes and nose. If you give him something with long fur, watch to make sure he doesn't barber it and eat the fur. And check it periodically for holes to make sure he doesn't get the stuffing.

babs_me72

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Okay. Thanks. I tried a little teddy bear but Snickers was unsure of it and a little bit afraid. So I took it back out for now. He seems to be doing okay without Teddy being there. I think he knew that it was coming. He had been sleeping away from Teddy over the weekend once in a while. I will just keep my eye on him and give him lots of extra cuddle time.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.

babs_me72

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2017

Post   » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:46 pm

I replied in your other thread. I'm sorry you lost Teddy. You did all you could and he knows it. He will always be with you and be smiling down on you and Snickers. Sending big hugs to you both! RIP little Teddy!

I would watch Snickers for a while for any signs of illness or depression. Weigh regularly. Hoping he doesn't miss his friend too much. http://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html and this one http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Perhaps cuddle him whilst watching TV, or put his cage where people are so he doesn't feel lonely, like kitchen. Move things in his cage around, change times of feeding, to give his mind something else to think about instead of how much he is missing his friend. Hugs to you both!

babs_me72

Post   » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 pm

I tried rearranging his cage environment inside and he felt very unsure very quickly, so I put things back. I think I was jumping the gun in trying to change too much too fast on him.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Every guinea pig is different. It is a tool for the future, though, in case he would benefit from change.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1