Cecal pellets/poop soup

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 am

So I have a guinea pig that has some GI issues. The vet and I think one of the top causes for this is because he doesn't eat his cecal pellets, so she recommended I make him some poop soup and see if anything improves. Unfortunately in the midst of the moment I forgot to ask her how I can tell the cecal pellets from the regular ones. I know they're supposed to be smaller and have an odor to them, but in his case his droppings are already very similar to this. I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on how to pick the -right- poops. My other two seem to eat theirs, so getting some from them isn't much of an option.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:04 am

Cecal pellets are green, soft, and very smelly.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to get them out of his anal sack.

How do you know he's not eating them?

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:30 am

Well, I never see him eat them and his droppings are pretty soft and smelly, so I know something's not functioning 100% right in his gut.. I see my other boys eating them all the time.
He was prescribed poop soup + critical care (by choice, for appeal mostly). Thats why I needed a hand to identify cecal pellets vs. regular ones. His droppings are soft, so it's hard to tell what's what.
He was also prescribed trimebutine to help his gut move better. We're doing a trial in small doses with this medication.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2017

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I've had good luck using fresh regular pellets from healthy guinea pigs as I've never been able to get the cecal ones. Since your guinea pig has GI issues anyway, maybe try giving him poop soup using regular fresh pellets from your healthy boys and see if that helps.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1