Flying internationally "in hold"

Checkers1

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello,
My family is relocating from NYC to Italy and the only option to bring our guinea pig along is to fly her "in hold" with Lufthansa. I do not want to leave her behind especially since my children will not forgive me if I do, but I am also concerned about her wellbeing. She has flown previously in cabin with no problems, but for this flight the only option is "hold" which is basically temperature controlled and pressurized cargo. I have read up on EU regulations, and checked USDA website and it appears that she only needs a 2 page form from USDA certified vet. I am worried about picking the right cage and making sure she gets water since she does not eat any other veggies than carrots and loves blueberries, but water bottles pose risk of falling or leaking. If anyone has any advice how to make this flight as safe as possible for my fuzzy girl, I would really appreciate it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:11 pm

The best thing to do is to check with the airline directly about the cage, since they have pretty stringent restrictions on size/type/etc.

Also check on the other end about what has to happen to her there.

There are some threads on here about people who have flown with their pigs -- you might be able to search them up.

Checkers1

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks for your message. I called back Lufthansa for more guidance on requirements and was advised they no longer allow guinea pigs on their aircraft effective 1 January 2017. We are moving to Italy in a few days and I thought I was almost ready with everything and now discovered that our fuzzy girl cannot fly even though we already had a confirmed reservation for her.😭