Is this normal behavior for female introductions?

pigpen456

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Hello all,
I just adopted a 3rd female guinea pig to add to my herd of 2 females. I introduced them on neutral territory and then proceeded to put them into their 15 square foot C&C cage. My dominant piggy humps the new one when she sees her and sniffs her butt quite often. It has been about 2 and a half hours since they have all been in the cage together and whenever the new piggy and dominant piggy go near each other they make a lot of noises!! Through those noises, there has been no teeth chattering, or nipping but they definitely seem to be figuring the hierarchy out.

I am a paranoid piggy mom and just want to make sure that this is normal behavior. After 2 hours, there has been nothing new other than the humping every now and then and the noises they are making. My piggies have never been this chatty but I understand that this can be a stressful situation.

They have even eaten hay all at the same time which was exciting to see!

Is this normal behavior? I have not seen any biting or heard any squealing or teeth chattering but they are definitely chattier than normal.

Thanks all! I appreciate anY advice!!!!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm not an expert on intros but I did recently go through a difficult introduction. After I got them together, there was a lot of activity and noise for a good 24 hours afterwards so I'm guessing what you see is normal. As long as there are no major fights, you should be good.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 am

I have screaming matches for days after a new introduction. You should notice that it gets a little less every day (and that's the only thing that kept me sane while my girls were going through it). Took over a week for things to get down to the point I'd call "normal". I think you're doing alright.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 am

Humping is completely normal, even between females. It's a dominance thing not at all sexual. It sounds like they are doing fine.

pigpen456

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Thank you everyone! Today is going very well but I will continue to keep close watch for the next couple of weeks.

Everything is quite normal today but I don't want to speak too soon!

GuineaDad

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi pigpen456,

I had the exactly same situation with my girls. I initially had Peanut and Tofu, introduced Dumpling to the crew later. I would say the humping and being extremely talkative (including making noise when another pig comes nearby) is pretty normal.

This sort of behavior lasted at least couple days for my girls. Peanut and Dumpling actually went into teeth chattering session once or twice, but now they can't live without each other. I'd say keep a close watch whenever they make a lot of noises (especially teeth chattering).

You might also encounter same situation in the future as well. At least with my three girls, they have this sort of behavior once in a month or so (no teeth chattering since initial introduction, but humping happens here and then).

pigpen456

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Thank you everyone! I sincerely appreciate all of your input. They are all currently enjoying some hay as we speak.