Death

Jolieke

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:03 am

Hi everyone,
I have had 4 guinea pigs in total, I started with Knabbel & Babbel. Babbel died because of cancer after she had an operation. So I bought Pip to keep Knabbel company. But Knabbel died in a mysterious way. One morning, I noticed that she didn't come to me and just stayed lying in her hidey-house. I didn't think much of it, but I was going to look in the afternoon if she was okay because I had to go to school. In the afternoon she didn't seem very well, but she still ate and walked around a little bit. I decided to skip school tomorrow and go to the vet. But then, that evening she started having trouble with her back/hind legs and she became stiff in her whole body. She could not move and did not want to eat anything so I was really worried. It was late so in my country (the Netherlands) all the vets were closed and I was not sure how to deal with it. My parents and I thought that it was best to wait until the morning and go to the vet first thing. But, when I woke up the next morning, she was dead. I was heartbroken and so was Pip, so I bought Pinda, a 3-week old guinea pig. At that time Pip was a year and 4 months old.
Two weeks ago, while my grandmother was caring for my guinea pigs, she told me that Pip had died. When she described how, it was exactly the same way as Knabbel! My grandmother cleaned everything thoroughly because she did not know the exact reason why Pip died.
I am going to buy a new guinea pig so Pinda is not alone, but I am not totally sure whether that is a good idea or not.
Could anybody tell me why Knabbel and Pip died?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 am

I am sorry for your losses.

We have no idea why your guinea pigs died. You would need to have taken your guinea pigs' bodies to a vet for a necropsy. The results of the necropsy could tell you what happened.

As you noted, guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly and it is of utmost importance to seek veterinary care when they show clear signs of illness.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm so sorry for your losses.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 pm

I am so sorry for your losses of Pip, Babbel and Knabbel. RIP wee ones reunited and never to be parted. Run free in paradise and munch on the fresh green grass. Now in perfect health and for ever young.

Do you have a guinea pig rescue in the Netherlands? Perhaps your next piggy can come from there if there is one. Sending you big hugs and to little Pinda. Did you quarantine the new piggy for 2 weeks before introducing the new piggy to the old piggy? Just thought I would ask. If piggies came from a petshop they can have all sorts of illnesses.

Give yourself and Pinda time to mourn over your losses. Weigh Pinda regularly and move cage to where a lot of human traffic is so Pinda doesn't feel lonely!

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I am sorry you lost your piggies.

Piggies can go from looking fine, to looking off, to dead really quickly. It is very difficult if not impossible to tell what could have been wrong from your description.

If you notice something (seriously) wrong it is best to seek medical help as soon as you can and hope you can find a vet that actually knows about guinea pigs. If you can, try and read up on illness and treatments so you know what to look out for.
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

There are rescues, I only know of one from experience. If you live anywhere near Uden, this is a good one www.caviaopvangrozan.nl
I don't know this rescue, but it might be an option
Www.stichtingcavia.com

There is a lot of crap sold for piggies, unhealthy food and treats are everywhere. Piggies do not need salt licks for instance, but they are marketed for them. I found the best food available in the Netherlands to be JR Farm grainless complete (available at zooplus.nl), it is one of the only pellets made from timothy hay and is low in calcium, which is a good thing for piggies over six months old.
(If you live near the German border you may find this pellet in German petstores. I know Das Futterhaus carries it)

Do you know about proper cage sizes?
https://guineapigcages.com

If you happen to have a (too) small cage, here is a site that sells c&c cages in the Netherlands
http://caviadraadkubus.nl
It may be a bit more expensive than a cage from a petstore, but your piggies will reward you with zoomies and popcorning!