Recurring head tilt?

beefyduck

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Exactly one week ago my 2 year old guinea pig had a pretty bad head tilt. We took him to the vet and were prescribed baytril for 10 days. After about 3 or 4 days his head was no longer tilting. Since that first day he's had an interest for food but won't eat anything but grapes and the colored pellets. We've had to put his medicine onto the colored pellets for him to even get near it. Today I'm noticing that his head tilt is coming back. It is very slight but I am worried about it. Is this a serious problem? Should I just continue with the course of baytril and maybe he'll get better or do I need to go back to the vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:24 pm

You do need to continue the Baytril, but he also needs a serious diet upgrade.

Colored pellets are junk, and are not good for them. He needs a plain timothy pellet -- KMS Hayloft and Oxbow are the best two brands.

You give liquid medications by syringe, not by putting it on food. He may not like it, but he's a guinea pig and you're a large human. You're equipped to win this battle.

You also should be giving a probiotic an hour or so after every dose of antibiotic. Bene-Bac is good if you can get it locally. It's definitely available from Amazon.

Grapes should be only a very occasional treat. They've got a lot of sugar, and too much of it can cause a bad GI upset. You don't want him with another illness in addition to his ear problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Read over:
weigh.html
antibiotic_advice.html
handfeeding.html

beefyduck

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Don't worry! I haven't just been feeding him grapes all week.

And is putting the antibiotic on the pellet going to hurt him? The baytril is still effective isn't it? He hates being held so I figured if I could feed him that way and save him some stress I'll do it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 pm

I don't know if it would affect the ability of it to work but it might mean he's not getting a full dose. Baytril tastes pretty bad, from what I understand.

Read over www.guinealynx.info/tips.html too.

beefyduck

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 am

Hi again everyone! Beef finished his course of baytril yesterday but he still has a head tilt. The vet gave us some extra baytril so should I go ahead and continue giving him medicine? I called them to ask but am still waiting for them to get back to me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:48 pm

If he is eating well and not losing weight, I would continue the meds and call tomorrow.

beefyduck

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:36 am

His weight is fine. His appetite isn't how it used to be. He won't eat his veggies but he is eating hay and pellets. Is this considered eating well?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:55 am

If you are weighing daily right now and your guinea pig is maintaining weight on hay and pellets, that is indeed a good sign.

What kind of pellets are you giving? Not all are equal.

beefyduck

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 pm

I have been feeding them a kaytee brand pellet. I will order a different kind today if those are not good enough.

Also, do you have any tips on how to make weighing easier?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

I just plop my pigs in the bowl on the scale. They're scared enough that they don't move.

Kaytee is a lousy brand of pellet. KMS Hayloft and Oxbow are the best ones, and Oxbow would probably be cheaper for you.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:11 am

One of my piggies will wander off no matter what, so I use a large (and clean!) cottage cheese container since the sides keep them from going out. I don't know how big your guinea pig is but the fit doesn't need to be too spacious; plop him in, write down the weight, and take him out.
Also, if you think there is ANY chance he might get out, make sure you weigh him in a place where he can't jump out and hurt himself, like on the floor.

I hope this helps! Good luck!