STEVE!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 pm

I would hold of putting him to sleep if he is eating and being as normal as Steve can be. Wait for the pain meds to kick in. I think you'll know if or when it is time to say good-bye.

I'm not sure if these are good for piggies, I am sure others will tell us, but when our Petal and Rosie were sick we gave them Baby husks to chew on. Worked a treat, must have took their minds of a what ailed them.

Will keep Steve in my prayers and will pray you get the wisdom to make the right decision for Steve. But like I said if he's eating, peeing and pooping and doing things a piggy does, I would just wait and see how things go. Sorry you're in this position. C'mon Steve! Hang in there mate! Girls send many wheeks.

Love Cici's hair cut. Way to go Steve! You're a very clever piggy, you have much talent!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm

We had our follow-up today and nothing has changed with Steve's heart. He hasn't been hooting but started again as soon as I put him in the travel carrier, and he was all wound up and panting at the vet's, so she got a good chance to hear it. He didn't scream at palpitations, but she can definitely still feel the stone. She says she'd give him at least a 25% chance of dying just from anesthesia, but that if I want to operate she will do it for the next month or so. After that, she thinks it's really not a good choice.

Given how quickly I've seen stones recur, and his chances of dying during the operation, and the chance of a difficult recovery, and the fact that he also has pretty bad arthritis that the surgery won't help anyway, I'm inclined not to do the operation.

I came home with buprenorphine and for now the plan is just to keep him comfortable and do laptime supplemental feeding (but not with syringes, because this is a quality of life moment). If anybody has any particular argument why this isn't the correct choice, I'd love to hear it, but I think I'm pretty well decided. Poor Steve. :(

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:42 pm

I am so sorry to hear the news is not good! You know Steve the best and you made the decision that is best for him. I would still offer him hand-feeding via syringe just to see if he'll take it.
I will keep you all in my prayers and hope the time he does have left is a peaceful and pain free one and may it also be a long one! Sending big hugs to you. Give Steve a cuddle and kiss from us. Sweet little guy! May you all have the strength to get through this tough time and the road ahead!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm so sorry, Alden. Big hugs to you and Steve.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:32 pm

This is the hardest part of having a pet. I hope his time here is as comfortable as possible.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I think the choice you've made is the kindest one for Steve and I am so sorry that you have to make that choice. Steve knows you've got his back.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 pm

You and Steve are in my prayers, Alden. You know him best and you'll know when it's time. Sending hugs.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks guys.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 am

I give both heart pigs here Vetmedin, Prillium and Prilactone (aka Benazepril). Those work well on pigs with a bad signal to make the hart operate, so the heart gets enlarged. What does your vet say about those? No furosemide here yet, vets here only give that as a last resort extra on to of those 3 heart meds.

I have maintained a strict low calcium diet for all pigs since over 5 years and it has helped to prevent a stone formation so far. The last 3 pigs were definitely candidates, they peed crystal soup with large crystals when they arrived, only one had mildly cloudy pee after.

I am so sorry that you have to see Steve struggle.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Something seemed to happen on Friday, and by Saturday Steve was extra unhappy and declining to eat. I got him in for an emergency appointment yesterday morning and Dr. A said the stone had definitely shifted and that he was completely obstructed. He peed a little on Saturday and Sunday, but what he did squeeze out was cherry red, so I suspected that was what happened. Dr. A was willing to do an emergency catheter and see if she could get the stone out that way, but given that it too would have required anesthesia, and that his heart was still so enlarged, I decided I didn't want to go that route.

Which is a fancy way of saying that Steve left us yesterday morning. He was a really sweet guy and I'm grateful for the year and a half we had him -- and I'm glad to know that his last year and a half were much better than whatever came before. But it's always shitty anyway.

Thanks for the advice and support, as always!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm so sorry, Alden. And so glad he spent his last months in your good care.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I am so sorry. I wish we had no need of the medical forum and our pets did not have to deal with these illnesses.