PLEASE HELP - Chirodiscoides/Static Lice

heykids

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm

I am desperate for some advice as I am at my wits end with my guinea pigs.

A little while ago I bought a microscope and did a cellotape test on both of my guinea pigs. I was absolutely gutted to see that they had chirosidcoides/static lice. I took them to the vet the very next day and was give Xeno 450. This was applied as per the instructions so they eventually had 3 treatments. 48 hours after treatment I also bathed them in Gorgeous Guineas' "Lice N Easy" and again bathed them a total of 3 times. I also thoroughly cleaned their living space with F10 disinfectant and I always wash their fleeces at 60 degrees.

Having spoken to Vedra at the Cambridge Cavy Trust, she told me that ivermectin will NOT have any affect on this type of parasite and that I should bath them in "Flea or Die" every 6 days 3 or 4 times. I once again thoroughly disinfected their cage and also used the F10 fogger in the living room where they live. Each time I bathed them in the "Flea or Die" I thoroughly disinfected everything. Monday was the 4th bath they had with the "Flea or Die" and tonight a further cellotape revealed they STILL have the little blighters!

What am I doing wrong? I am desperate to rid them of them and feel absolutely awful - I must be the worst piggy mum.

They show no signs of having them - no bald patches, red areas, intensive scratching and no bumpiness in the rump area indicating where the lice eggs are normally laid - they are generally happy, healthy piggies.

Do the majority of guinea pigs have them to some extent? Obviously I am reluctant to keep bathing them as it stresses them out and I know you shouldn't bath them too much.

I have changed from using a farm hay to the Devon Meadow Hay supplied at B&M but this obviously still hasn't made a difference. I know Vedra recommends the Oxbow hay because it is sterilised but because my little guys like a big pile to bury in and because I clean them out at least every other day, I would get through LOADS of it which isn't really practical as it would work out extremely expensive.

Like I say, I'm desperate for help and apologise for such a long post but any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Ivermectin will kill any parasite that can infest a guinea pig.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html. Static lice are also known as fur mites.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Can you post a picture of them or email me a picture? I have a digital microscope too and find it very handy.

I would not feel so badly nor would I worry so much. Topical ivermectin actually will get rid of them if given in the proper dose and repeated once a week for a minimum of 3 weeks. Topically, the dose is 0.5mg/kg, I believe.

heykids

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 am

bpatters wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 pm Ivermectin will kill any parasite that can infest a guinea pig.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html. Static lice are also known as fur mites.
Lynx wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 pm Can you post a picture of them or email me a picture? I have a digital microscope too and find it very handy.

I would not feel so badly nor would I worry so much. Topical ivermectin actually will get rid of them if given in the proper dose and repeated once a week for a minimum of 3 weeks. Topically, the dose is 0.5mg/kg, I believe.
Thank you so much for your replies. The instructions on the Xeno 450 was to repeat at 2 weekly doses. So should I get some more ivermectin and treat again WEEKLY for 3 treatments?

If I use the Xeno 450 again, should I continue to bath them as well?

Also, is the thorough disinfection with the F10 necessary? I am literally dunking EVERYTHING in the solution and although I'll do whatever it takes, it's a mammoth task getting everything outside to disinfect!

Sorry, I can't work out how to upload a picture so as requested, I will email it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 am

Your parasites look more like lice. Read over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Here is your image:

See also calculate_dose.html to determine the amount you should give. You need the amount of ivermectin per pipette and the weight of your guinea pig.

If they are lice, you would see casings in the fur also. Topical ivermectin should kill the vast majority of parasites it could be. Revolution works well too.

And no, you don't need to be so aggressive cleaning their habitat. Normal cleaning the day you would treat them (remove bedding, wipe down) would probably be adequate.

heykids

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:47 am

Lynx wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 am Your parasites look more like lice. Read over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Here is your image:

See also calculate_dose.html to determine the amount you should give. You need the amount of ivermectin per pipette and the weight of your guinea pig.

If they are lice, you would see casings in the fur also. Topical ivermectin should kill the vast majority of parasites it could be. Revolution works well too.

And no, you don't need to be so aggressive cleaning their habitat. Normal cleaning the day you would treat them (remove bedding, wipe down) would probably be adequate.
Oh ok - in that case I'm really confused - I was convinced they were static lice as opposed to running lice! They are definitely NOT visible to the naked eye though - you cannot see them on/in the fur or on the cellotape. 5 years ago when Clegg came home he came with running lice (almost tiny wriggly grains of rice which you could see on him) but I definitely cannot see anything on him at the moment.

Do you have a microscopic image of a chirodiscoide/static louse?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am

Google "chirodiscoides static lice" (without the quotes) and click on images. There are some pictures on there.

I can't find the strength of the Xeno 450 Spot-On, but several people have had problems with the Beophar Spot-On not being strong enough to do the trick. The reviews of the Xeno says it works well. But if not all the lice are killed, you might want to check the strength to see if it's enough to do the job.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 pm

If they are microscopic and you can't see them, I don't think I have an image that is helpful.

Still, focus on the fact that they are parasites and use a topical product to kill them. Ivermectin, selamectin, or Advantage Plus (imidacloprid plus moxidectin).

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 pm

The Xeno 450 contains 0.45mg of ivermectin, so just under what is recommended for a 1kg pig. Last I checked (and it has been a while) it has very different instruction included than what is recommended on this site.
(I think Beaphar's highest dose was 0.15mg per pipette, so really not enough to treat adult pigs, but okay for a baby of 300grams)

heykids

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:45 pm

bpatters wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am Google "chirodiscoides static lice" (without the quotes) and click on images. There are some pictures on there.

I can't find the strength of the Xeno 450 Spot-On, but several people have had problems with the Beophar Spot-On not being strong enough to do the trick. The reviews of the Xeno says it works well. But if not all the lice are killed, you might want to check the strength to see if it's enough to do the job.
Lynx wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 pm If they are microscopic and you can't see them, I don't think I have an image that is helpful.

Still, focus on the fact that they are parasites and use a topical product to kill them. Ivermectin, selamectin, or Advantage Plus (imidacloprid plus moxidectin).
SardonicSmile wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 pm The Xeno 450 contains 0.45mg of ivermectin, so just under what is recommended for a 1kg pig. Last I checked (and it has been a while) it has very different instruction included than what is recommended on this site.
(I think Beaphar's highest dose was 0.15mg per pipette, so really not enough to treat adult pigs, but okay for a baby of 300grams)
Thanks again everyone for all your replies. I originally googled chirodiscoides when I first saw them under the microscope and that was what they looked more like in comparison to the running lice. According to the Xeno 450 instructions, the active substance is ivermectin 450micrograms and for a guinea pig weighing between 1.2kg and 2.25 kg, you use 1 pipette. Clegg weighed in yesterday at 1210g with Wallace weighing in at 1440g so perhaps it isn't going to be strong enough...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Just use more than one pipette. Maybe give the lighter on 1 1/3 pipettes, the other one 1 2/3.