Recurring head tilt?

beefyduck

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks everyone for the help so far :)

I have taken him back to the vet. She believes the infection is too deep in his ear to he cured without se getting into his ear and draining some fluid. She gave us sulfatrim to try but she wasn't hopeful that it'll work because the baytril didn't work. Assuming we don't go the route with more extreme procedures, would Beef be able to make it for much longer with the infection? He eats his hay and pellets and drinks lots of water. He comes to me when I wiggle my fingers. The only thing thats really different about him is he will barely eat vegetables and of course his head tilt. We got some critical care and vitamin c t to make sure he is well nourished. Also, does anyone know if he is in horrible pain or discomfort with his condition?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 pm

I do not know. Look over this page and watch for signs of pain.
www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Sometimes combinations of antibiotics can be more effective. Not rereading but has he had an xray?

beefyduck

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 pm

He has not had an xray

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:34 am

I believe an xray can show the location and extent of an infection in the ear/skull. You can ask your vet about this.

beefyduck

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 pm

The vet said an xray wouldn't change the way she wanted to treat him so she chose not to sedate him for a scan.

Just an update on how he is:
-Seems to fall into these short dazes where you can tell he's not really "here" mentally
-poops are very light brown but he is eating critical care and hay and very small bits of lettuce
-sleeps laying down more often than he used to

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Inner ear infections are usually most responsive to Baytril. That said, bad ones can require an extended course (like as in a month or more) to fully resolve. Sometimes a mild residual tilt is "left over" even after the infection is gone. Most pigs manage just fine with this, but since your pig seemed to improve after the first few days on Baytril, I suspect he needs a higher dose, an extended course, or both.

Chloramphenicol penetrates better than Baytril, but may not be as effective as Baytril. You can ask the vet about it. Also, sometimes a topical ear medication used in conjunction with Baytril orally can help. Ask your vet about adding Baytril Otic (a goopy ear cream applied to the ear) into his treatment regimen.

Sometimes "pulsing" an AB works -- two weeks on, two weeks off; two weeks on, one week off, etc. Ask your vet about this, too.

Some ear infections hurt horribly; some don't hurt at all, and everywhere in between. Do read the signs of pain page linked to above.

My gut hunch is that he needs a longer (or repeated, or both) course of Baytril.

Is this an exotics vet?

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=66&t=267

(NYC starts about halfway down)

Jersey and Philly just in case:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=64&t=265

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=72&t=272

beefyduck

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 pm

We do see an exotic vet.

When the baytril didn't work the doctor gave us sulfatrim to try. Do you think going back to baytril would work after being off of it for a week or possibly more?

Also would the vet give me the baytril without actually seeing my pig? They've already seen him twice and they charge so much just for the visit itself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:06 am

You can call and ask about this. If it is not resolving, the vet may be able to change and up the medication. Be aware that baytril can cause issues (primarily losing appetite and sometimes diarrhea).
www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html