Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies GrannyJu1 and Lynx! It means a lot! I guess I'm letting the frustration of not knowing get to me.
If it's really ovarian cysts, I wouldn't wait too long for the surgery, daisymay, especially if they're fast growing.
Joy has had this problem for 3 years now and they are still the size of grapes-2-4mms. Carol wants me to keep eye on weight, whether she continues to eat and so forth. Wouldn't go for surgery first anyways would go to HRT first like we did with Jessie. Much safer option.

With Jan it is a waiting game as well. I did mention to Carol that Jessie at one point was on Metomide and was curious to see if it would help Jan. Carol had never heard of a guinea pig on Metomide so she did some research and has given Jan 5 tablets worth.
Now with Jessie I needed to cut tablet into quarters and then crush one quarter into 8 equal parts, which meant she got 2-5 grains tops. So just touching base to see if Jan is on right dose?
Jan is one one tablet crushed and then divide into 10 equal parts. Which means Jan is getting 30 or more grains. Is too much? She weighs 726grams. Would love it if someone could let me know on this. So far Jan has had one dose. Jan is still eating but poops have dried up a lot, she is now only doing around 10-20 poops in the tub that she's in for 2-4 hours when fed separately. Thanking you in advance.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 am

I can't help with the hormone treatment, never had a pig on it. Wishing you the best of luck with her though.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:19 am

Thanks for the reply GrannyJu1, sorry to hear about Scatter's. Well yet again after 3 days of being off the Metacam Jan has stopped pooping and has stopped eating.

Carol said to put her back onto the Metacam, massage the tummy and hand feed. So looks like the Metomide didn't work. Why can't my piggies ever get something easy? Have NO idea what is causing Jan's problems. Is there some sort of medicine I can give for a GI Stasis? Any advise much appreciated.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello, Is there a link for GI Stasis? I am trying to read up on it and can't find anything. Thanking you. Especially for medication.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 pm

I'd look at the bloat stuff, and search the reference forum for stasis. Stasis needs a medication to get the gut moving again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Ditto bpatters. Follow the links here:

www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 am

Tried Metomide a tenth of a tablet twice a day but this did not work. She is back on the Metacam for three days which seems to be working. Would something like gripe water work or help? Thanks for the replies bpatters and Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:34 pm

I would pass on it. It apparently doesn't really work and might cause complications (depending on formula - the sugars).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gripe_water
Gripe water is a product sold to relieve colic and other gastrointestinal ailments and discomforts of infants. No evidence supports the efficacy of gripe water and its use poses risks to the infant, especially in formulations that include alcohol or sugar.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Jan is going to the vet today to get her tummy X-rayed. Normally she would be on 0.7 Metacam for 3 days then stop and by day 2-4 she would stop eating again. She would also stop pooping. This time is different, she's not eating but still on Metacam but she's still pooping and she's maintaining weight so far.
Jiffy Jaf is going to the vet too to have X-rays so Carol has something to compare Jan's X-rays with. Please pray with me it's not terminal or cancer, or anything untreatable. Couldn't bear to lose her too! Will keep you posted. Joy is also going to the vet but she's just getting weighed. Carol is 95% sure she felt ovarian cyst on her left side so she wants to keep an eye on weight. We weigh her weekly but it's handy for the vet to have a record on their scales too. Thanks Lynx for the reply!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Well now I wish I didn't know what was wrong with Jan as the news isn't good. It has helped my husband and I decide after our 6 girls leave us that will be it! NO more. Losing them is just too hard!

Well Jan is still not eating that well and finally Carol did some X-rays of Jan's tummy and of Jiffy Jaf for comparison. Sadly the news is not good for Jan! It seems her belly is full of wind and what appeared to be fluid and when Jan was moved the wind and fluid moved. It seems her tummy isn't moving food along. Which explains why she's not eating and we're having to force feed the syringe food. Do we continue as we are or do we let her pass?
Carol said in her opinion surgery would kill her. She said the only options we have is to treat the pain. Using Methomide to help move things along a 14th of a tablet each time and the Metacam 0.7 once a day.
I am in tears at present and can hardly see the keyboard, we loved Jan with all our being and the thought of losing her is killing us! But we have made one decision. NO more guinea pigs as they have such short life spans and it hurts too much when they leave us.
Just the mention of Jessie(3 years this December and I tear up). I tear up about lost pets as a child. When I get her X-rays will send to Lynx for anyone who wishes to see them.
My husband suggested using a needle to relieve some of the wind but Carol said that is NOT treating the cause which she has NO idea what the cause is and she said it would only build up again.
For now Jan is NOT eating any greens just dry food and Timothy hay and of course we're syringe feeding her every 4 hours. Carol said we would know when it's time otherwise Jan will suffer a painful passing.
Once our 6 babies have passed that's it for me it hurts too much even if they are the light of my life and give me joy and help me through my depression, I just can't cope with the losses anymore!
Thanks for reading guys, how much time has Jan got? With the amount of wind in her tummy, it will be amazing if she makes it to her 5th birthday which is Christmas Eve.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Without reading back, has she had motility drugs? Reglan (metaclopramide)? Cisapride (propulsid)? Simethicone?

The fact that she has gas in her belly isn't a fatal problem in and of itself -- that's just the definition of bloat. It can be difficult to manage, but some pigs get through it and never have another episode.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 pm

I am so sorry she is dealing with these issues. I think you've read the info linked to from this page?
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat