I'm thinking about getting a sow for my boar

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Well Guinea Lynxx should be supportive . Life sucks life is hard . Maybe who ever owns this site should shut it down . I come on here and post my feelings and passion . Sometimes I feel like I'm getting bashed and not getting the support and advice this site is for . I will say this I have had good experiences with forums I put out there . With all bashing I just think it's wrong . jjx thanks for your kind words and generosity . Those of you who were ignorant you should be ashamed of yourself .

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 am

Actually, GuinnessOllie, Lynx owns this site. She provides it, at no charge to users, for the health and welfare of guinea pigs. It's a source of medical and care information even for veterinarians, and is often cited by medical sources as a good resource.

You, on the other hand, ignored the terms of service you agreed to when you joined this site. And when you got some pushback when you announced you wanted to breed your pigs, all of a sudden you're being "bashed." On the other hand, if you'd respected the agreement you made when you joined, this issue would never have arisen.

This is not a site for you to post your "feelings and passion." It's a site for people to learn and share about the care and welfare of guinea pigs. If you want social support, pick a social forum. This one isn't it.

And Guinea Lynx IS supportive. It's supportive of guinea pigs, and of people who want to care for their guinea pigs. But needlessly risking the life of a sow because you want to make money isn't caring for your pigs. It's selfishly overlooking the dangers of pregnancy and birth in order to put a few dollars in your pocket. None of us are interested in supporting that.

Classicalcavy

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 am

Actually, Lynx is very supportive. She is supportive of the guinea pigs and the folks who love and care for them. Guineas are delicate creatures in spite of their pudginess. Pregnancy is dangerous for them and the pups and the mother can be lost. Some of us have adopted pregnant Guinea pigs and we find support and encouragement here. There are so many homeless animals, Guineas included, there is no valid reason to breed more.

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:44 am

Baby pigs are cute. There's no way to get around that. What isn't cute is removing the two dead pups of the five that your sow just gave birth to because that's the way they were born. What isn't cute is rushing your sow to the vet a week after she gave birth because she has gotten a massive infection and is losing weight and falling over in the cage. What isn't cute is watching a pup die from aspiration because you are trying to keep it alive after the mom died and it's just too small to feed with a medicine dropper. I can attest that none of these things are cute because I've been there with foster pigs that I took in while being a volunteer for a guinea pig rescue. If you go ahead and allow pigs to breed, you need to be ready to deal with all this type of not-cute.

Incidentally, you may very well place your babies in a home without a snake if you are careful. The problem comes in when that family grows tired of the pig (its not getting enough attention, the kids won't take care of it anymore, the new puppy keeps chasing it, etc.) and THEY decide to get rid of it. Then it can end up as snake food or dumped into the bushes in the park.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:24 am

I'm willing to take the risk . When I first realized I wanted a guinea pig after my Syrian Hamster passed I knew what I was getting in too . I always wanted a guinea pig ever since I was kid but my mother wasn't too fond of it because of the goat smell . But I'm 23 now . Finally after 22 years my mother was like ok if that's what you want go get one . So I did and love every minute of owning my pig . I will do everything that I can to help and care for the babies if something is wrong . If some of the babies die I would be ok because I did what I could . Those babies will cross the rainbow bridge knowing that I did my best to save them or give them best life even if they were different . I will keep records of my potential buyer phone numbers so I can keep In touch to see how things are going . If it isn't working out I would gladly take them back and take them to a rescue or somebody who is experienced with piggies . With out further do I will continue to create appropriate fourms if anything goes wrong with my boar

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:32 am

You're willing to take the risk, but you're FORCING your sow to the risk.

And if the babies die, you DIDN'T do what you could. You could choose not to breed the sow in the first place, and the pups would never be in that situation.

In this case, it's not about the pigs, it's about YOU and your determination to do something that seasoned guinea pigs owners and rescuers are telling you is not a good idea to do.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 am

If anything goes wrong with a piggy or two I will do best to care for them but if it's more than I can care for i will take them to a rescue for guinea pigs that way I know they would get the proper care . I would keep the ones I will be able to care for . It's not about the money . It's about my passion and love for guinea pigs and exotic animals . I want to go back to school for exotic animal medicine . If do decide to breed I can have the experience teach myself and learn more about problems they are prone to and how to treat it .

Red252

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:47 pm

It seems like you are not listening to the advice given here, and that you have already made up your mind, but just in case you are willing to listen, here goes.

I will be blunt: if you breed your guinea pigs, you are a bad pet owner. It is dangerous, painful, irresponsible, and selfish. What you have said implies that you believe your desire to learn about guinea pigs is more important than a guinea pig's life. If that is not true, then I beg you to consider everyone's posts here. They have decades of experience raising these creatures. Sometimes the wisest thing is to listen to someone who has been down that path before so that you don't make the same mistakes. You don't have to breed your own guinea pigs to learn from the experience of those who have had to take care of litters and pregnant pigs.

No one is upset that you WANT to breed guinea pigs. The desire isn't bad by itself--we will only judge you by your actions if you choose to pursue this cruel course of action. I understand wanting to pursue a passion and wanting to experience the miracles of life. We are upset because there is a better, safer way to learn about guinea pigs and care for them.

If you want to learn how to take care of guinea pigs with medical issues, please think about adopting one of the MANY guinea pigs with special medical needs out there instead. That would be an admirable and kind way to accomplish ALL of the other goals you have stated. If you do have a passion, and it would be a beautiful thing to see it given to guinea pigs who have been abandoned, guinea pigs who need high levels of care, and guinea pigs to whom YOU can give a second chance at life.

I hope your boar gets a friend and that they both live long and healthy lives. Please understand that no one here is bashing you--breeding can KILL your guinea pig very easily, and we are trying to make sure that ALL of your future guinea pigs can have those long and healthy lives.

ETA: I seriously question your integrity when you say that you would "take the babies back" only to give them away to a shelter or rescue again. I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and take your words at face value, but I must be honest and say that this viewpoint deeply concerns me. It is almost like you are saying "I want to breed my guinea pig, but I take no responsibility for the outcome," which is chilling to read. Pets are your responsibility to care for as long as they live. That is the way it should be.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:57 pm

If you would give the babies away to a rescue because you couldn't afford to take care of them, you'd just be shoving an expensive medical bill off onto someone else because you were unwilling to take the responsibility.

@Red252, good post.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Wow really I'm a bad pet owner wow ! Excuse me that is not true about me ok I am very good pet owner I take very good care of the animals I have . People call me the animal whisper because I've nourished animals back to Health with just my hands . That is a true story . Also I'm not some bum pet owner who is some junkie or some other bum who has pets but doesn't care for them . I take good care and pride into my pets . I care about all animals of all species . I very much so care about my pets lives and other animal lives .

Classicalcavy

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:54 pm

If you pride yourself on being a good pet owner, why do you want to risk the life of a sow and any pups she might have? The sow will have no choice in what happens to her. Think about it: Animals have no control over their lives. They are bought and sold, abused and abandoned. If you really want a companion for your boar, think about a spayed sow. I'm sure that a rescue could help you find one but they frown on breeding as much, if not more than we do. We are just trying to educate you and prevent future suffering on the part of the animals. There is so much wisdom and advice here and we won't steer you the wrong way. I bet everyone of us has made mistakes when we started out. I wish I had this forum to guide me when I got my first piggy.

Red252

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Yes. A good person is decided by their actions. If you put your pets in harms way, you are a bad pet owner no matter how much you love them. Being responsible is about more than just love or care.

It is clear you did not read the entirety of my post, or you would see that I attempted to give you the benefit of the doubt. You are NOT now a bad pet owner, but you WILL be if you continue with this plan. I think you are so defensive because you may know somewhere that what you want to do is wrong. I sincerely hope you do the right thing and listen to that part of yourself.