Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 am

There's a range of dosing for doxycycline for most conditions, and it's not one of the worst antibiotics as far as the digestive tract is concerned. If you're worried, you could give less to start off with, and if he tolerates it well, then increase it.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am

Thank you bpatters.
Assuming the standard dose of 5mg/kg and 735grams in weight, Cupid should receive around 3.7mg. After dissolving 100mg capsule in 10 ml water and to receive 3.7mg doxycycline, Cupid should get 0.37ml.
Can someone please please check my calculation and advise if I should go ahead. I am worried about overdosing him with new vet's prescribed 10mg/kg dose. I will start with the calculated dose (5mg/kg) and increase if needed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:28 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Have you used the dose calculator?
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

You will want to watch for antibiotic intolerance.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

You wrote:
And according to what new vet has prescribed, the dosage goes to 10mg/ml.
And then you wrote:
I am worried about overdosing him with new vet's prescribed 10mg/kg dose.
These are two different things. One is the concentration of the drug in the suspension, which at 100mg in 10ml of water yields 10mg/ml. The other is the dosage. I believe the dose is what you calculate for your guinea pig after you know his weight and have the other data.

Glancing at your figures, they look more or less okay (10mg/ml solution and 5mg/kg dose).

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you Lynx. I gave Cupid the standard dose of 5mg/kg doxycycline according to his weight.

Cupid's culture reports says:-
A few pus and epithelial cells, a few gram negative bacilli and a rich growth of E.coli
The vet had asked me to give doxycycline for a week and stop. Today is the seventh day of his medicines.
His abscess/cyst hasn't reduced in size and he still bites and removes blood. I have to keep dressing the wound with Betadine and surgical tape. The abscess/cyst looks much better than before, though.

Should I give medicines for few more days or stop from tomorrow?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:18 pm

If you haven't seen it reduce in size, I sure would be tempted to continue! A week is not all that long. Watch for antibiotic intolerance.

antibiotic_intolerance.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:26 pm

For how many more days should I give medicines?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:43 pm

I would consult with your vet. I would think so long as he is tolerating them okay, another week at least and then evaluate how well he is doing. Keep in mind, I do not have a veterinary or medical background.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you so much Lynx. There are limited experienced exotics vets in India and I would trust you people more than them.

I had called my vet yesterday to confirm and she said to stop medicines after a week. She also said that Cupid's abscess/cyst wouldn't reduce in size because its deep seated and the skin around has also thickened. She said its a non-healing ulcerative wound and is self multilating.

For a cancer test, she would require a larger sample and for that Cupid will have to go under anesthesia which she thinks might be risky since he is 7.3 years old. She said if the antibiotics doesn't work and if his health worsens, then she will have to take the sample. She also said if it would have been cancer, then Cupid wouldn't have survived this long. (His abscess removal surgery took place on 27th November 2013)
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 4&start=80

He is eating a little less than normal. I guess its because of the antibiotics. He finishes his favourite veggies though. He is otherwise normal and active. I have been maintaining his weight through force feeding veggies or critical care. Doctor said not to over feed him. He had gained 35-45 grams in 8 days.

Can I continue medicines for a total of 10 days (today being 8th day of medicines) and then see how he is doing? I am traveling out of town for more than a week. If required I could start again after coming back. Would the bacteria become resistant to the antibiotics after the gap? His culture said doxycycline would be the best for him.

Please please advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I can't answer your questions. But I do think gaining some weight is a good thing.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 am

My piggy and me have nowhere else to go except here.Please please help..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Hopefully bpatters will read this and have some ideas.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 pm

There shouldn't be a break in the time he's on the antibiotics. Why can't he just be put on doxycycline now?