How to make sure both pigs are eating pellets?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 pm

I have two young females about 3 months (I think). It occurred to me that even though pellets are disappearing (quickly!) I don't know that both of my piggies are eating them. I have seen one (Truffle) eating them multiple times, but I have never seen the other one (S'mores) eating pellets. She is shy so it might just be that she doesn't want to come out and eat them when I'm around, but she could just not be eating them. They eat Oxbow Young Guinea Pig Pellets (alfalfa based) and I'm relying on those so they get enough vitamin C and other nutrients, and even though she seems fine I'm concerned that any vitamin deficiencies now might cause problems later. How can I make sure that they are both eating them, and if S'more isn't, is it a big deal, or am I just overly concerned?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pellets are the least important part of their diets, and if she has good quality hay and veggies, she's probably OK.

Are they both gaining weight at the same rate? If so, they're both probably eating pellets. But you might put the pellet dish in a shaded location so she feels more protected, and maybe she'll eat more.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 am

Yes, weighing is hands down the best way to know if they are both doing okay. Every guinea pig owner should be weighing their pets once a week (daily if they are sick). Read over:
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

CavyGirl04

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Yes, I weigh them once a week and there has never been more than 10 - 15 grams difference (don't know exact numbers, my scale measures in "units" of 5 grams.) However, I'm a bit worried that Truffle, who is the dominant one and definitely LOVES pellets, might be bullying S'mores out of them instead of her just not eating them.
I'm also asking this for in the future, when they'll be switched to normal Timothy pellets. I don't want to deprive them, but for Truffle to get twice as many would also not be ideal.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:49 pm

10-15 grams isn't a significant difference. A teaspoon of water weighs almost ten grams, so it takes a good bit more than that to be considered important. If they're that close in weight, S'mores is getting her share of the food.

mad002

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 pm

You could always try to have 2 separate pellet bowls in very different locations. One pig cannot guard all the pellets if they're split!