Using hay as a "litter box"?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 am

My guinea pigs are allergic to wood bedding so I use Carefresh paper bedding under the hay in their litter box and I have to brush it all off with a wire brush every time I go to wash their fleece. It is a pain, but at least the pigs are happy!!!

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Update: I got them a little plastic box for hay, but now it is starting to smell after just a day! I don't have 10-20 minutes to clean it daily. Does anyone have any suggestions to get a couple more days out of it? I tried finding wood pellets as Quiet Wren suggested, but my local pet store doesn't carry them and I don't want a big bag (as I have seen on Amazon) in case the piggies don't like them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm

You can buy a 40 pound bag of wood pellets from a feed store for about $7-$8. If the pigs don't like them, and it's extremely unlikely that they're going to care either way, you can just throw them away.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 am

If you don't have a feed store nearby, your pet store probably has Arm & Hammer Feline Pine Original in the cat litter section. I think it's the same as wood pellets, just more expensive but still relatively inexpensive.

http://www.felinepine.com/Feline-Pine-N ... itter.aspx

CavyGirl04

Post   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 am

Thanks - there are no feed stores nearby but I can try the cat litter stuff. Until then, just cleaning the box every other day.

Coco-Pepe Mom

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

I keep their hay up in a rack, off the bottom of the cage so that it stays fresh. My fleece pads stop at the 3/4 point of the cage. In the last quarter, on the end where they have their hay and water, I use carefresh paper bedding over a layer of brown paper grocery bags. When it's time to change the litter, just roll up the bag with the carefresh on top and toss in the trash. This method takes a lot less bedding and they probably go 90% in the carefresh area.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:13 pm

If you have a pen for you pig like I do if you don't want to spend money for a hay dispenser Get like a medium sized cardboard box . Lay it upwards with a a side facing down .

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:34 pm

It will keep your pig from soiling the hay