Can Neutered male stay with pregnant female?

Jem

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:58 am

Hi. Can a Neutered male live with a pregnant female before and after birth?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am

Yes, that usually works well. Most males are pretty laid back with pups. But just in case you've got the one in thousands that's not, do keep an eye on him after the pups are born.

Jem

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 am

I have read so many different answers I wanted to make sure incase my 1 Girl may be pregnant. Now only time will tell.

JX4

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm

How long since the male was neutered? They can still impregnate up to about a month after the procedure. If he was neutered more than a month ago, you should be good.

We neutered our male as soon as we found out he was not female and had impregnated our other two pigs, who were in fact female. At our vet's suggestion, we kept him separated from the girls. However, in hindsight, I think he would have been fine with them.

We had six babies between the two moms, and two of those were male. So at 21 days we stuck the male babies in with the now-neutered dad, an he was great with them. In fact, because the boy babies had an adult with them, they didn't cry for their moms like so many do when they are forcibly separated -- they sound so pathetic when they do that and it feels so cruel, but it has to be done. But because they went in with dad, they never cried. They did try to nurse from him a few times, but he put a stop to that, lol. He ended up being a great dad and the male babies learned how to eat pellets, drink from a water bottle and all sorts of things from him.

We ended up re-homing the two male babies and dad went back in with everybody else at that point. He's been with them ever since.

Jem

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:12 pm

My male was Neutered August 9th and Joined the girls September 13th approx

JX4

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:04 pm

You might remove him just before the girls give birth just to be on the safe side, but if you can do so where he can still have contact with them (like a divider in the cage so they can all see, smell and hear each other) that would be best. You don't want them to forget each other and have to introduce them all from scratch again. He will probably be a good help to the moms. If you are there for the birth, you could try to put him in after the mom has to leave the first baby to concentrate on birthing the second one. See if he starts helping to "clean" the baby by licking it. If so, you don't have any worries. Or, he might just run to a far corner of the cage and hide from the baby. Either way, he's not being mean to it, so I think the odds of his being a help rather than a harm are pretty good.

JX4

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Neutering my male did not do anything to change his personality or his ability or desire to mate. It did keep him from growing as large as intact adult males I've seen (we neutered him around 5 or 6 months of age). He's the same size as the females now. He also doesn't have a sac to drag along the bottom of the cage and so doesn't get "stuff" up inside him -- so no need to clean him out much at all. He is at the bottom of the social pecking order, though, but I don't know if that is because he is a neutered male in with a bunch of females or because of his shy and skittish personality.

Jem

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:14 pm

I was told it was safe to but my boy with my girls at that time but I’ve read it could have been too soon. Now time will tell. I’m hoping not since I had him Neutered to prevent pregnancy. But if yes I will be here looking for advice. Thank You

Jem

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:17 pm

I can’t tell between my 3 who is the top pig. How Can I tell. Eevee my boy rumblestruts all the time. But the girls seem to not mind him lol. They all seem happy together. The only issue I see is my one girl Kalie keeps pulling out Eevee’s long curly fur.

JX4

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:48 pm

You will probably be OK. Humans have no say in who is "top pig," so all we can do is watch. Eevee is rumblestrutting because that's how he asks the girls if they are "in the mood," lol. As I said, neutering does nothing to lessen his sex drive. It just means no babies. My girls let mine rumblestrut and ignore him too. If he does it too much, they will get annoyed and nip at him. Once one of them mounted him, which made him run for the hills. He doesn't rumblestrut as much anymore, but he will do so occasionally.

As for who is top pig, it's the pig the others defer to. If you see two pigs competing to see who can lift their nose into the air the highest, that's a dominance spat. Whoever has the highest nose wins. The loser will duck back down and turn away or defer to the winner. Mounting (in females) is a more intense way to show dominance.

My herd of six pigs has shifted status levels quite a bit amongst all the pigs over the last several years. They work it out. It has no bearing on you or what you do with them. It is just how they work spats out among themselves.

Jem

Post   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Ya my girls are mother Jenna and daughter Kalie. I adopted them as a pair at 7 months and 11 months old. They never seemed to have one as top pig. Never humping, no spats but they have rumbled. But I guess they know. Lol. Eevee is quite charming and always trying to woo the girls. Lol. I’m so I love with them.

Nuoc Mam

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 am

I have two boars about 3-4 months, should I nueter them? Are there any benefits with nuetering and not nueering my boars?