ashleighk's injured guinea pig

ashleighk

Post   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 am

I'm not sure how to post my own fourm but my sister brought her dog over and it knocked down our piggy's cage and grabbed him in his mouth he didn't shake him or puncture the skin but it took us 4 mins to get him to let go of pinky pie. We unfortunately can't afford to get pinky pie to the vet due to being a single mother of 6.. Pinky pie seemed OK afterwards just seemed to be limping on front leg. The next day he was laying on his side and wouldn't get up to eat or drink. It's been 2 days now and he still cannot stand or stay standing but when I scratch him he thumpers his back legs.. Does anyone know what could be causing him to not get up or able to stand up? I've been hand feeding and giving I infants ibuprofen to him for pain. He is still eating and drinking like always don't know what could be going on

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:25 am

What's causing him not to be able to stand is undoubtedly a shoulder or leg injury caused by the dog. Either could be broken, or the shoulder could be dislocated. Either is likely extremely painful.

He needs to see a vet for an x-ray and possibly to have the leg splinted. It is unfortunate that you can't afford a vet, because he's a small animal that totally depends on you for care, and medical care is as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food and bedding. Please investigate Care Credit, or see if you can make arrangements with a vet for monthly payments so your pig can get the care it needs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Meanwhile, weigh him daily right now and hand feed if he starts losing weight. He may have internal injuries and may go downhill. Seeing a vet is indeed the best thing for him.

www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

ashleighk

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 am

Bpatters thank you. He seems still so alive and happy he's eating and drinking like always and tonight he has seemed to push himself out of his Hut I have no doubt that his front leg may be injured buy would that make him not be able to walk at all? I had to switch him from his left side to his right side today to prevent bed sores I have really soft bedding for him and have been hand feeding. When I stand him up he tries to walk but cannot I'm getting worried yet his actual health is still as healthy as he had always been. I started a gofund me page but no-one seems to care I'm guessing because ppl are making comments that it's just a guinea pig why would u spend 100s of dollars to take it to the vet. But what they fail to realize is this piggy pinky pie is my 4 year old daughters best friend and undoubtedly if I could afford the 100 dollar vet visit and then however much it cost for X-ray's and pain meds and w.e else he may need id spend every last dime I have which is hard when u don't have 2 pennies to rub together her dad buys the food and bedding and stuff for him but says he can't help with vet bill.. I've also grown to love pinky pie and it kills me not knowing if he is suffering which he doesn't seem to be but I know just laying there is no kinda of life for him.

ashleighk

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:01 am

But I can't bring myself to have him euthanized when he's still so full of life please someone tell me what to do.. I'm so upset.. I told my sister she's never to bring that dog here ever again sense she seems to think she shouldn't help with medical care when it was her dog who hurt our baby