Peekaboo's Medical

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:31 am

Hoping Peekaboo starts improving soon. Sending healing vibes to you from us and the girls. Hang in there, they're lucky to have you.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks, daisymay. I hope you're right. I think he's actually started wheeking for the pedialyte. I've been hearing some strange wheeks lately and when I look, he's looking at me. Peek doesn't usually wheek at all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm

I am hoping for future good news too. That is interesting he seems to be asking for pedialyte.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

Peek has finally dropped below 1000 grams. On 10/7 he was 990 and on 10/15 he was 958. I was hoping his 10/7 weight was an anomaly but apparently not, so should I start force feeding him Critical Care? He's dying from kidney failure but other than drinking LOTS of water, he's showing no symptoms, if that makes any difference.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:11 am

I would continue as you are. Offer him Critical Care if he takes it great if he doesn't I wouldn't force it. Spend what time you have left with him making happy memories. Lots of cuddles, spoil him with food he's not allowed to have. If concerned talk to your vet Dr K, she may have ideas. Is he still asking for the Pedialyte? Enjoy your time with peek and make it as happy as you can. If he eats the C&C great, if he doesn't offer him other food. Sending you and your husband big hugs! And Peek and Fuzzbutt chin scratches.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks, daisymay. I'll do as you suggest. I've just decided to take both of them in to see Dr. K just for check-ups at least.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Peek hasn't been to see the vet since she diagnosed him with kidney disease. Is this the same as renal failure?

He is now below 900 grams. Is this my new reality, to just watch him waste away? He's eating as much, if not more than he used to. I think Fuzz is eating a little less, and Peek cleans up whatever she drops. He eats a little Critical Care but not much, and not often. He seems happier than he has in a long time. Loves his pedialyte which could help him want to see more of me. :o) The only thing I'm noticing on the negative side is his weight loss. His fur is still fairly shiny and his eyes are bright. Those were the two things the vet said would let me know it was time for the Rainbow Bridge. Those, and a loss of appetite. None of those are happening.

So, back to my question: is his diminishing weight my new reality? I take Fuzz in next month for a recheck, and I'll have Dr. K. check Peek out, also.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Renal failure is the end stage of kidney disease.

And yes, if he has kidney disease, he will just waste away.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:13 pm

This is so sad. That he is happy despite the weight loss is a wonderful thing.

I so wish you both were not dealing with this.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 am

Hoping he is with you for a long time yet. I am in similar situation with Jan, it tears at the heart strings. Do as we are doing treasure every day every moment had get in as many cuddles you can! Sending big hugs and Merry Christmas to you, Mike, Peek and fuzzie.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:10 am

Crap! That just breaks my heart. I watched it with my cat, but cancer took her before the renal failure did. Over the years I did see her lose about a pound and a half, which is a lot for a small cat, but that was over 5 or 6 years. At any rate, I was hoping it would be different for Peek. I'm guessing old age has something to do with it, too.

As you said, Lynx, I'm very glad that he seems so much happier now.

Thanks, daisymay. Back when he was diagnosed, I though I'd be lucky if he made it to Christmas. I guess I am lucky. Perhaps he'll make it to his adoption date - March 22. I will have had him a full 5 years then.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 pm

A happy pig is good. It's painful for you, but he doesn't know he's dying. He's still enjoying his life day to day. All my pigs lost weight as they got older.