Sick guinea pig not pooping or peeing

NatalieS

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:00 pm

On Sunday night sadly one of my Guinea Pigs had passed away due to pneumonia from what I believe, but luckily my other guinea pig is still alive and we got her medication to help fight the bacteria. I had noticed though she’s rarely pooping or peeing ! Which really concerns me, she’s doing fine walking around in her cage and occasionally eatting and drinking water. The place I got her from suggested I get her critical care and I’ve started feeding it to her yesterday but I still see no poop or pee. Is there anything else I should do? Or should I just wait to see if she poops while continuing to feed her. Also I don’t see the vet until Thursday so I don’t know if this is a bad situation or if I’m currently fine as long as a I keep giving her critical care. Please help me !

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:36 pm

She may be eating all her poop, not just the cecal ones.

But you need to be very sure she's eating -- guinea pigs MUST eat frequently, or they'll develop pain, possibly fatal, digestive problems. So weigh her a couple of times a day, same time of day each time, and record her weights. If she's losing, push more food into her.

A guinea pig that's not eating anything on its own needs 100+ cc. of Critical Care or a pellet slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings. Adjust up or down according to the pig's weight, and down if the pig is eating some on its own.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:53 pm

What antibiotic was she given? It is important that it be a safe one for guinea pigs. Read over www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html too.