How to stop burrowing under fleece?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:27 am

How can I stop my piggies from crawling under the fleece bedding? Is there some way to anchor it? I have a "normal" cage (a plastic "tray" and wire top part), not a C&C cage, so I can't exactly tie it to the sides. Thank you for suggestions!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Some people use binder clips on the edges (lots). Or you could sew two pieces together and leave one edge open (like a bag) and slide in a piece of corroplast so it is more or less rigid and they can't get under it. Tuck the end pieces under.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Binder clips won't really work, but I could see about putting some coroplast in. I actually sewed the pads a couple inches too long, so that would work perfectly!

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:13 am

If it's a "normal" guinea pig cage from a pet store it's probably too small for your pig and doesn't provide the proper living space. Your pig could be burrowing out of frustration of not being able to run and popcorn. Consider building or buying a C&C cage and the problem may go away.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:08 am

I don't think space is the issue. My cage is 8 square feet (2 x 4), so even though it's not the biggest, from what I've read it should be okay. My piggies do run around a lot in it. I also am trying to give them floor time, but last time they just stayed in their hidey for 20 minutes scared to death. I haven't tried floor time since then because it's fairly difficult to set up (by the way, any easy suggestions for blocking off doorways?) but I want to.
I wish I had room for a C&C cage, but unfortunately, this is the largest I really have room for for now.
Knowing the pig that does the burrowing, she probably is just curious (or wants to make my life a pain!). This is like her. She also is the adventurous one when it comes to trying new food, meeting new people, and reminding me it's dinner time.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Ah, so yes that cage does not sound like the typical too-small ones from a pet store.

It can be difficult to stop a pig that's a burrower. If you had a typical C&C, you could use strips of extra coroplast to hold down the edges. That's not an option with this type of cage. If your fleece is larger than the cage bottom, you might be able to roll the edge under with a long, narrow piece of wood inside (like a thin piece of trim) and then hold it down in the corners with something heavy (some people use a small brick). Another option is to actually give the pig a different option for burrowing. Put down extra squares of fleece so the pig can burrow under them and not under the main fleece. There's someone on here that sells some really nice fleece blankets with a built-in pocket for burrowers.

I know with a few foster pigs that were burrowers, I eventually just gave up and went back to a loose bedding. I got tired of fighting it, lol.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 pm

I put bricks on my fleece to stop burrowing. It also helps them cool off when it’s hot since the bricks stay cool. I keep one in each corner, except for the corners with litter trays

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 am

I sewed my fleece together - either the whole things or made sleeves on the edges and slid 1/2" PVC tubing through it. Weight of the pig standing on the fleece keeps them from being able to lift the PVC edge.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 am

I gave up and added an extra blanket they could crawl under. Using simply fabric was ok, but difficult for them to get under.