Hugo's Bumblefoot

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:07 am

Hugo is a four year old, black, Skinny boar, who has had no prior health issues. He recently lost a foot spur, which resulted in a mild case of Bumblefoot. I took him to the vet today and got his antibiotics, Metacam and a blue solution called Chlorhexiderm. I was told to dilute the solution with warm water to a pale blue color. However, I have never used this solution before and I was wondering if someone could give me a more exact measurement for diluting it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:04 am

Most instructions say dilute to a pale blue color, but somewhere, I think, I've seen 1:10 and 1:20. Apparently it's nothing like an exact science, sort of like probiotics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Check https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_s ... orhexidine for info concerning dilution and soaking feet. And perhaps try Epsome salts (read warning):
www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 am

Thank-you both; the info is much appreciated and helpful! It turned out a much lighter shade of pale than I would have gone for, so it is a good thing I asked first.

Poor Hugo never had any oral meds before and didn't know what to think of that pink stuff I put in his mouth. I think he will adjust to taking it though.

I had been soaking his foot in Epsom salts for the few days before his vet visit and it did wonders for his foot. The swelling went down and he was willing to put weight on it again, so that was a big improvement. I plan to continue using it along with the treatments from the vet. Hugo loves the foot soaks, so I figure they must be soothing for him. I took a pic of him soaking his foot, but I need to find a new photo-hosting service before I can post it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

You are welcome to email it to me to post if you wish! A link to this thread would be helpful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am

What a cutie he is!

Here you go:

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

That's a good idea. My daughter a small soap dish to soak Pepper's back feet. Same idea.

Pepper liked her foot soaks too. Good job catching it early. It took months to clear up Pepper's bumble foot which was pretty awful at the beginning of treatment.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Thank-you, Lynx!

Bookfan, did Pepper have to stay on antibiotics for months? I'm hoping not to keep Hugo on them for too long, even though he has developed a taste for it now.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 am

She's still on them. She was 6 when this happened & the vet suggested bactrim for the rest of her life as a prophylactic. We didn't expect her to live very much longer. And the bumble foot had eaten deep into her foot & we didn't want that again.

She's now 7.5. She recently developed a uti & we switched to baytril, still had bacteria, & is now taking chloramphen for a month. Makes me wonder if she developed some antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Point being, there are pros & cons to prolonged antibiotic use and they have to be weighed in making a decision.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:13 am

Just an update:  Hugo's foot is now back to normal.  It took a lot of persistence, but it paid off.  I continued with the Epsom salt soaks for weeks after he finished his course of antibiotics and the Chlorhexiderm soaks, even though it had shown a lot of improvement by then and was no longer painful to touch.  At one point, his spur tried to make a comeback, but the Epsom salt soaks kept it soft and it came off again with no further trouble.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:48 am

Great news!

A warning though - with my guinea pig Nina, I was able to clear things up but then they'd return again for another round of treatment. I hope you don't have to go through this.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks for the warning! I will definitely keep an eye on it and possibly continue the Epsom salt soaks a little longer. I'm sure Hugo won't mind!