Can you please help with the determination!?

canbow8

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am

I bought 2 "male" guinea pigs from the Amish market. A couple months later I noticed that Max was getting pretty big. Then, I noticed "he" was really getting a big belly and... wait, I feel something kicking! So, Max is actually Maxine. I now have 5 guinea pigs. The babies are 3 weeks old and are in one cage. I am keeping mommy and daddy in the other cage (but daddy is at the vet getting neutered now so they will be separated for the 4 recovery weeks). I think the babies are all three boys. I really don't want any more babies. If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I will. If I can't, but you want to help me, please provide email address or # and I will send you the pics.

canbow8

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:00 pm

I can't help you with the photo hosting, but see www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for more than you ever wanted to know about pig genitalia.

If the pup is a male, you'll be able to feel the penis bone just beneath the skin just above the external genitals. It will run straight up the pig, so if you press gently and move your finger crosswise, you'll be able to feel it moving under your finger.

canbow8

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 pm

thank you. That is the site that I have been comparing them against. I am pretty positive they all look like the male picture and I felt the ridge, but I am nervous and want to be positive since we thought we had 2 males to begin with lol.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 pm

If you can feel the penis bone in both, they're definitely males. Females don't have anything like that at all in their anatomy.

But you should also be able to extrude the penis by putting your thumb just above the external genitals and pressing down and toward the anus. That's really the definitive test of a male. To me, it helps to hold the pig in your lap with its back against your chest when you're doing this.

canbow8

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm so afraid I am going to hurt them by pressing too hard. One of them got upset with me, for trying to get a good picture, and bit me and drew a little blood. lol I don't blame him, but of course he is the one that I had named Darkside 😂 btw he is Darkside just because he has a dark patch on his side.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 pm

You're not going to hurt him by doing that. Abdomens are soft and squishy, and you'll be able to feel the bone if it's there.

canbow8

Post   » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Okay, thank you

mad002

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 pm

I would just take them to your vet! If they are an exotic vet, they should have no problem telling you for sure if they are boys or girls. It is more difficult to determine their sex when they're younger. They can start reproducing at 4 weeks, so I would make sure to get this done quickly!