A Fraud and a Charlatan

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 am

Rachel Maddow and The Daily "WTF Just Happened Today" emails are my main news. I have withdrawn from a lot of things I love. I rarely go out to the family dinners anymore, barely get on facebook even though I miss my friends there, I can hardly do my wand carvings at all. I carved once since Jan 20. I try to read a book and can't do more than 2 chapters at a time. But the hopelessness and the actively severe fears have subsided a lot. SO there's a good sign. But now there is the nuclear standoff. I try and make myself believe they (N.K. - or whichever country frumplethinskin is having a pissing contest with at the time) don't want to end the world anymore than most of us do. Something HAS to improve it all soon. I can only imagine the number of people who will lose their minds if it does not.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 am

My heart dies a little with each cruel and stupid thing done. But being an optimistic person who sees the madness, it helps to find like minded people (of which there is no shortage where I live) and doing something about it (writing congress people, protesting, etc.).

That O'Reilly is gone is a very very good thing.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Ditto Lynx.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 pm

A writer at KOS linked to an article describing trumps unethical practices.
Trump's Charlottesville Winery: He got it by Mafia tactics
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/15/1690142/-Trump-s- ... afia-tactics

This Washingtonian article is a compelling read:
https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/10/05/greatest-most-amazi ... st-vineyard/

The winery is just down the road from me.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Mafia? No such thing.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:47 am

Hyperbole perhaps but descriptive just the same. djt is a jerk.

Following the tragedy in Charlottesville (murder of one, death of two law enforcement officers in a helicopter, serious injury of many more), there was a mas exodus from dt's councils. The remaining members of the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities (PCAH) resigned en mas and called for dt to resign.

See the stinging masterpiece of a resignation letter the President's Arts Committee sent to Trump
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/18/1691267/-See-the- ... ent-to-Trump

This KOS writer typed up the text of the resignation letter, whose final line was:
Supremacy, discrimination, and vitriol are not American values. Your values are not American values. We must be better than this. We are better than this. If this is not clear to you, then we call on you to resign your office, too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 am

And the first letter of each paragraph spelled out RESIST.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:11 pm

That was just a little levity Lynx. I love how that's always said

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 pm

I thought that RESIST thing was great too!

GPIG, I rather thought so but one just never knows for sure!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

Insight on the trump show from an observer whose first language is not English:

The man on that stage can kill you
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/10/18/1707731/-The-man-on-that-stage-can-kill-you
...Because I feel our minds have been primed to enjoy TV and Youtube videos, to always await the next show, the next act, the next snippet to captivate our imagination and attention. Our mind feels that it is ok to let go, to let the soft comedy and fictional tragedy of TV series and Netflix carry us away. And there is always this unspoken promise: “What entertains you cannot hurt you. Relax, all will be fine.”

...Many are sublimely and skillfully led into this different frame of mind when watching Donald Trump. One we have been primed to slip into since our childhood by the TV and entertainment industry. “Sit, enjoy, feel safe. Watch, tune out, relax”...“Why worry about the man on stage? You are safe.”

...And that is not true, America. Wake up. This is no play, no show. It is real and you have a real person who tries to slime himself into your mind with a show man routine, trying to force you to give him so much more leeway.

But the man on stage, that fake show man, that reality dressed as illusion, is different: This is not Louis C.K. or Dave Chappelle. That fundamental promise of entertainment cannot protect you: You cannot watch and relax. Because you are not safe.

Keep your guard up, tear the veil and see him for what he is: This time, the man on that stage can kill you.
I feel a numbing with the outrages. I don't feel we are safe but I surely wish we were.

Edit: The Sound of Science
Unsure how this fits in with the above commentary - but the resistance too, is entertaining.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm

That was fab, Lynx.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Oh, I thought so too!

Each phrase contributing to the chilling truth.

TexCavy

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:42 am

For the first time since this time last year I feel hopeful for the future. I still wish we'd won more nationwide though.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

Congrats, Lynx.

Hi Tex. I feel somewhat hopeful too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I just hope everyone realizes that those wins were the result of a monumental amount of work. Democrats knocked on 1.3 MILLION doors in Virginia. But even people who can't or won't block walk can help and work from home -- there are phone/twitter/instagram/email/text campaigns. Local campaigns need people to update their databases from the call sheets to volunteers and donors. You can lookup Postcards for America and write cards for them. Just DO SOMETHING!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm

The Virginia wins were BIG! And yes, people worked their butts off. The local dem candidate worked very very hard in a difficult district. Unfortunately, he did not win but it was not for lack of trying!

I got a postcard, a recorded call from him and another one from his young son (he did a great job).

He would have worked hard for us.

Most importantly, I hope a fair, non-partisan method of districting can be agreed upon and I hope the Medicaid expansion can come to Virginia so many more people can get medical care.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:47 pm

I was reading in one of these threads about Senator Franken being a possible presidential candidate, now I can't find the exact thread. In any event, I liked him too. I thought he was a responsible, common sense voice for all of us. After seeing that photo of him groping the woman asleep I'm offended, and I'm not easily offended.

Everyone makes mistakes but I don't see his actions as a mistake. I see it as something like a belief to him. That women are objects, not to be taken seriously and it's funny to humiliate them. His "apology made it worse for me. I'm stupid and I'm very sorry would have been about all he should have said. Saying he doesn't respect men who act like he did, and the whole agreeing how wrong it was, seemed to me like he was talking about someone other than himself.I guess he doesn't respect himself, so there is no reason for anyone else to.

This stinks, these people have no integrity and when I think one does, there he is with a stupid grin on his face groping an asleep woman. I know men do idiotic stuff but not n a million years would my brother, father, grandfathers ever do something like that. Yet politicians seem as if they can't help themselves. Why darn it!

I suppose he'll be heading to sex rehab. That seems to be the way to go these days, I'm' sick, need treatment, it's a disease, so it's not my fault,

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:52 pm

I wasn't there but it kind of looks like it was a staged bad joke.

The big takeaway is he apologized immediately. He feels women should speak out if they need to. This happened 11 years ago when he was not a senator but doing comedy. It is worthwhile reading his whole statement. I actually thought he was a crappy saturday night live performer and did not like some of his routines. But everything I have learned about him makes me respect the seriousness with which he takes his job as senator. You may have noted he asked for a senate inquiry.

In contrast, you have politicians trashing their accusers and lying. And (unless we have a string of anti-Franken women showing up with stories), this is not a pattern of behavior for Franken. Trump and Moore are a couple of the politicians with multiple accusers and more serious accusations. I don't think they are equivalent.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

I don't think he groped her. If you look carefully at that picture, he's not touching her.

No one but the two of them know what happened with the kiss. But he did immediately apologize and call for a senate ethics inquiry. I doubt he'd have done that if there'd been any actual impropriety. And, assume s/he's alive and can be found, a photographer took that picture and can verify one story or the other.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 am

The larger picture shows someone else in the room. I think the photographer weighed in on the pic but don't remember the details.

Edit: there's a false rumor that he did. He has not yet been identified.

173 posts