Ringworm Questions

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:24 pm

One of my new kittens has just been diagnosed with ringworm. We've had them since Thursday and have not taken any precautions beyond me washing my hands after handling the other one which has just been hospitalized for the day because of Coccidia.

Because I've not done anything besides wash my hands after handling the really sick little kitten, how likely is it that I've passed the ringworm on to the guinea pigs? I've flipped one end (they are on fleece) and changed the flippers on the other (I combined the two cages when Scatter died) and changed out pads. I've not been diligent about using soap after each handling of the ringworm kitten, usually just a quick rinse in hot water. Both kittens were put on 3 days of meds for the Coccidia, even though only one was diagnosed.

Now that I have the ringworm diagnosis in one of the kittens (I know, probably both since they came from the same litter), I know to use soap and hot water each time. Do I need to use the "special" t-shirt for the pigs again? I can launder all the fleece again, if it will do any good.

Help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 pm

I think healthy animals are resistant to some types of infection. Your idea of laundering the fleece sounds reasonable. If you are concerned, I would go ahead and use standard quarantine methods (like a change of shirt). Bleach kills fungi.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 am

My son said I need to use bleach on everything. He went through Ringworm with his new puppies.

How long is an animal contagious after antibiotics and shampoos?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 am

Contagious for ringworm? Antibiotics would treat a bacterial infection and I see to recall that once you have humans on antibiotics, they are no longer infectious. Antibiotics would treat complications -- infections. I have never had any experience with ringworm (though it is present in many places). I think Josephine wrote about some of her experiences as a vet tech. I would think for ringworm, once it is clear that the lesions are healing, infection is less likely.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Antibiotics won't do anything for ringworm. It's a fungus. You need an antifungal cream.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 am

We have both, the monistat and something the vet prescribed: Terbinafine.

We also still have the one kitten on an oral antibiotic for Coccidia.

How often do we apply the monistat?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am

Are there any directions? I would be tempted to apply a thin, light coat daily.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:34 am

I did put the Monistat on the patches of ringworm on Pepper. So far, Sugar isn't showing any signs, so she just gets the shampoo.

Is Purell strong enough to kill the ringworm and Coccidia bugs? Or do I need to go for the soap and water everytime I touch them? I DO have a compromised immune system...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Purell bleach? Make sure you dilute it - full strength it can be damaging to materials.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:08 am

The Purell handwashing stuff - like in the doctor's office or at schools.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:31 am

I'd do the soap and water bit. Hand cleansers aren't effective against all organisms.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks, bpatters!