Red back feet

jatean

Post   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm

She and her friend Bellpepper are in a 2x4 c and c cage. Which brings up another issue I was trying to address before all this happened. They don't enjoy their cage - have never done zoomies, don't like balls or stuffed animals. They LOVE tunnels and love to explore a room. We made collapsible grid cage that's more than twice their cage size...and that doesn't inspire them either. In other words, unless they're free to roam around a room, they don't get much fun or exercise.

Used to take them outside on a walled, shaded balcony but the floor of it is rough and I don't dare put Abby's feet on it for fear of injury. I'm desperate for ideas on how to enrich their lives more. (letting roam around freely in a room is against the owner's wishes)

I'm open to ideas!

jatean

Post   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Sorry...have more to add but haven't learned how to edit yet.

A big thanks to everyone who's read this and to those who've posted their thoughts.

Lynx suggested trying All Free detergent (I think that was the brand) which we have started using. Our other detergent contains orange essential oil and that could be the problem.( Despite what many MML companies try to preach; essential oils are not a cure for everything and can be downright harmful) Our other pig hasn't been affected - but he's not a typical pig, he's more like a dog!

It will be about a week or so before the silvadene cream arrives; what do you think about using a Neosporin type ointment in the meantime? Is it safe to continue giving her a single dose of Metacam a day, or should we stop in order to protect her kidneys? Any pig safe topical pain creams?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 pm

If you use the Neosporin, use it very sparingly and rub it in well with a q-tip. It can cause major digestive upset if it's ingested. And yes, it's safe to continue to give the Metacam.

Can you put an old blanket or quilt down on the shaded balcony to protect her feet?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 am

Ditto on the detergent also. I used to mess with essential oils for myself (not the pigs), and orange can *sting* and turn your skin flaming red.

jatean

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

UPDATE: Tried many things over the last few months and nothing changed her red feet. Found a new Exotic vet and saw him today. Good news is
that many pigs and rabbits end up having red feet without fungal or bacterial causes. They don't cause her pain, the skin is healthy - and this is just the normal thing from now on. Although...we do continue to keep her cage very, very, clean and check them for any new problems. Her heart and lungs are very good, as are her teeth. But an exam and ultrasound found a real problem - I'll start a new thread for that.

jatean

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 pm

A checkup today revealed that there's some kind of mass in Abby's abdomen; a brief ultrasound was done. She's a spade pig so ovarian cysts are out.
She has no pain, she is happy, active, and doing all her normal things. We could have exploratory surgery now; but since it's risky we hesitate to do that because this may be a benign problem. We could wait a couple months and see if any symptoms show up and decide then. Even the vet is on the fence at this point.

I contacted the rescue to get more specific info on her surgery; why she needed it and what exactly was done - perhaps something was left unfinished.
Abby's about 3 years old.

Feedback, please. And thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Do not start a new thread on the same guinea pig.

Sometimes red feet reflect irritation, high blood circulation.

jatean

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Yes, thank you - I understand now to use the same thread, despite having a new health issue.

I posted yesterday about a new problem with Abby and would like to hear everyone's opinion - a "what would you do if it was your pig?" sort of thing. I read through the "lumps" section of this website, and am left thinking this could very well be benign, but even then I don't know that I'd like to leave it in her. The veterinarian explained the risk of surgery (not being able to control the airway)
Please read that post and tell me what you think.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 pm

I think I'd wait and do another ultrasound in a month or so.

jatean

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:13 pm

I thought I had posted this last night, but can't find it any where. Sorry if there's a stray post somewhere.

Abby is scheduled for surgery Saturday. She had started to lose weight and the vet can feel quite a bit of distension in her abdomen.

Am I crazy for spending $500 and possibly more on a pig that may not survive the anesthesia, let alone whatever is causing the mass in her abdomen?
She's not my pig. The owner won't pay for medical care. Abby's owner is a 10 year girl who's had Bellpepper and Abby for about 3 years. She quickly got tired of them. However, for the past couple of months she's finally gotten really attached to them; hasn't complained about feeding or cleaning the cage, she spends time with them each day, makes them mazes and toilet tube toys and such. She's away visiting relatives for Christmas and calls every day asking how her pigs are doing.

She doesn't know about the mass the vet found in Abby's abdomen several weeks ago.

If nothing is done, I expect that Abby will need to be put down in about a month.
She could die on during Saturday's surgery.
She could need treatment I can't pay for and will die anyway.

How do you know the right thing to do?

And does anyone have any idea what the possible reasons are for this mass? I read the article on the website, but couldn't get a sense if guinea pigs are more prone to cancer than abcesses, or whatever. Abby is a spade 3 year old, so there's no chance of reproductive tumors.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I don't have any answers for you. You are trying to do the right thing for this guinea pig. I can only hope the surgery goes better than expected and that the outcome is positive if that is the path you choose.

jatean

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Abby died at the end of surgery today.

She survived until he almost had her closed up, then her heart stopped.
She may have gotten too cold, he said. Or just was worn out. The tumor was huge. WIsh I had done this earlier. But I got so wrapped up with passing Anatomy class, the angst and frustration with that. Plus the hope that it was only a fatty tumor. Plus the fact that Abby's owner would have been royally pissed at doing this behind her back - enough to perhaps even fire me? (I'm the nanny. They're out of state for Christmas)

I'm a little angry - why didn't they keep her warmer? Why did they let her get cold? I know they use a warm water mat or something for guinea pigs. How about a hair dryer for emergencies.

It's useless to blame them - they wanted her to live too.

Bellpepper is now alone.

Someone has to tell Giselle. It should be done before she gets home Friday - because she'll run upstairs to see her pigs - and only find one. We have our Christmas when they get back from Wisconsin - no matter how late. She would have learned about Abby before opening presents.

I don't know if I should bury her in the backyard. I could have her cremated, but Faye thinks that's gross and will always be pissed at me if I do it. Plus, when the other guinea pig dies, Giselle will expect him to be cremated too - and Faye will really be pissed!

Giselle had an extremely hard time with Sheba's death - still talks about how I would have brought Sheba home one more time to say goodbye. She was 6 or 7 at the time, I had G pet and talk to Sheba before I took her to the vet (and I knew if could be the last time), but I didn't tell G why.

Crap. I want little Abby Dabby back. I love her too.