Is this aggression normal?

Aidenswings

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 am

Hi, so I just built my 2 adult male gpigs a new huge cage(C&G cage). They were too cramped in thier previous cage and hardly had any space. They would be nipping at ears, and just irritating each other too much. So I built this cage( with the help of my 13 yr old son..took over 3 hrs!!)..was so excited to out them in theur new huge place. But despite having like quadruple the space as before, they continue to annoy each orher. They chase each other, I thoughy oh it is playful but then i hear the loud teeth chattering. No blood, no bad bites,etc but they do not seem to get along well. I have had one for 5 years and the other for 4. So they should be used to each other.

Is this normal behabior? Did I make the wrong decision to upgrade their space? I want them to be happy of course.

Also, like I said I have had both for atleast 4 years, and they have never been calm about being picked up. I thought by now they would be used to it and trust they will be ok. Not only that but I will try to slowly pet one and they freak out and run to their hideaway huts. Help!

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:06 am

It is normal behavior. Guinea pigs are prey animals. They are hardwired to run from anything threatening (which is everything) and very few pigs like being petted. A lot depends on their individual personalities and the amount of handling they received when they were babies. Many people have high expectations when they get guinea pigs as pets because they think the pigs are going to love cuddling with them and being carried around and that is usually not the case.

It was great that you made a bigger cage for them. Most cages are way too small for one pig, let alone two. However, it sounds like their relationship was contentious before and it hasn't changed much in the new cage. I have seen an increase in aggression when pigs go to a larger cage.

Sometimes hideys can make the problem worse if the ones they have only have one opening. I always suggest to people that they replace store bought hideys with plastic children's stools. They are open on all 4 sides so the pigs always have an exit if the other pig comes "in." They can be used to sit under as a hidey but are also open enough that they can be run through for "zoomies." Providing two areas for hay might also help in case one of them is guarding the food from the other one.

Mites or illness may cause pigs to bicker and fight with each other. It might not hurt to have a well-check with a vet that knows exotics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am

Good for you for building a bigger cage! Consider "fleece forests" (fringed fleece strung across the cage to break visibility). Ditto WICharlie's suggestions.

Aidenswings

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi thank you both! I habe been observing their behavior lately and they still will chase each other around the new cage. But teeth chattering which I know is a sign to each other that they are pissed off. So it doesn't seem like playful rumbling around. One of my piggies is larger and was a bully to the other, taking his food, nipping his ears etc. But now it seems the opposite. I have always given them both their own hideaway and food dish as they would fight over one dish. But its like i pit pellets in both and they both want the others dish. Ugh! I noticed one was basically chasing the other not tunning but would kind of nudge their but with its snout. And the other would get mad. It could be when food is put out or new hay. I try to intervene but.. why did their aggression get worse? Wouldn't more space mean less squabbles? I need to make or buy some sort of cover for their new cage now as we are adopting a dog and their cage is on the floor. Not sure where to find supplies for it though as the cage is a C&G cage! ..back to home depot maybe!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Don't intervene. You're just interfering with them working things out.

Closet shelving makes awesome cage lids.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 pm

And don't forget about trying some "fleece forests" (fringing fleece and hanging it like a divider across the cage).

Aidenswings

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 am

Closet shelving? You mean like wood planks? I thought to buy another sheet of the cloroplast and place over cage but it comes in such a huge size and can be costly at home depot. Not sure if they offer to cut it?

Do you think I need to put the cage up on a large table or have it on the floor with a cover. I am adopting a medium sized dog who I will crate only when the dog will be left alone in the house. Otherwise I can monitor how the dog is with my piggies being there.

What are the fleece forests? You hang it over the top of the cage?

Kimera

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:22 am

Closet shelves are made of metal grids and can be used to cover C&C cages. Fleece forest is a fringe made of fleece and hanged across the cage.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 am

No, I mean wire closet shelving, like ClosetMaid, available at any home supply or hardware store. You don't want anything solid over the cage.

Why would you need a cover for the cage if you have a sturdy lid, which closet shelving would be? You can clamp it down if you need to.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fleece+forests

The photo galleries over at Guinea Pig Cages have thousands of pictures with all sorts of cage ideas.