Pea Eye?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 am

Last night, I started looking for a new pig to keep Bambi company after the unexpected death of Indiana. Typically I start looking right away, but then I don't adopt for several months to years. But, I always keep trios. I've been looking to add a special pig to my cage for the past year and a half since Clementine died. I had to be careful and find just the right calm and quiet pig. After Odette died it took around 1.5-2 years before I actually found Bambi who was just the perfect little pig to add with Indy and Clemmy. Anyway, I have to move faster than usual since I don't want Bambi to be alone. Last night I found an adult female (supposedly) that is located in a kill shelter (former high kill with a 40% live release rate, but now has an 80% live release rate). I believe she has pea eye. She's not listed on their main site, just PetFinder. So, I'm not even sure if she's still there. But, I'm planning to call and if she is I'll go down and meet her. Here is my question,

I don't know anything about pea eye. I read the Guinea Lynx pages about it, and it says it's not really a big concern. However, it also mentioned that it could be caused by a heart condition. I've dealt with a heart pig before. I'd do it again, but... I kind of what to have a realistic idea of what I may be getting myself into if I were to adopt her.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/39745942

Here is the link to her page. If this isn't allowed please delete. I've never posted a link before, so I'm not sure the rules.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:22 am

She is still there. I just called. They seem very nice and interested in finding her a great home. Her cage goes with her, so that'll be a nice QT cage. I don't have the one I QT'd Bambi in anymore. I'm so nervous I'm going to walk in there and leave with dozens of animals. Most all the shelters around here are no kill now, and the one that isn't has a very low euthanasia rate now after policy changes (probably similar to the no-kills). But rural shelters just don't have the resources we have up here in terms of $$ and volunteers.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:40 pm

It’s a boy with a bad impaction. I can’t take on a boy. Anyone in southern Iowa looking for a boy?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I was going to suggest looking into heart issues regarding the eye. There may be a prolapsed gland. More on the eye page, I believe.
www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Impactions are manageable. If they are neutered, less of a problem and they could be housed with a female.

Sorry you can't take a boy.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:44 pm

I debated neutering. But, my concern is that he's an older boy. He's probably somewhere between 4-6. They cleaned out the impaction, and I talked with them about how to keep it clean. They said they'd look up more info on it. They seem like they're really interested in his best interests and doing their best to keep him healthy. They are not used to guinea pigs, and they trusted the owner when she surrendered to know the sex. It's clearly a shelter that has people who care deeply about the animals they have there.

I felt terrible leaving him behind. I know they're going to do their best for him, but I wish I could have helped him more. I did make a donation in Indiana's name to the shelter and said to think of it as a sponsorship for him.