Impaction on Vacation

WilburWallace

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forums. I've got a bit of a dilemma I'm hoping someone can help me with. About a few months ago, I noticed one of my male boars was pretty impacted. I researched, learned how to clean him out, and have been doing it almost every day or every other day. Now the problem is I'm about to go on vacation for a week (this has been planned for quite some time before I knew what he was going through), and my Dad refuses to clean him out. There isn't anyone else that will be able to help. What are some options I can do before I leave? I'm planning to clean the cage the night before, put fleece bedding, and feed him some wet food that we got from the vet that has extra fiber in it. I'll leave tons of hay and he will be fed fresh veggies and things throughout the week... I'm just worried about him not being "pooped" for 6 days.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Would your dad take him in to a vet and let a vet tech do it?

Or could you find a vet tech who would pig sit for you?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Ditto bpatters. If you have a vet for him, I would contact them for ideas.

Are there any rescues nearby? Sometimes they have experience with various medical conditions like this.

WilburWallace

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Pretty doubtful. He works 9AM-7PM everyday. I don't know any vet techs either. :( My pig has been doing better though, passing balls of poo by himself sometimes. He always has poo in the cage so it's never fully constipated. I'm trying to see if my brother will be able to do it.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm

You could always call your vet and ask if any of the vet techs there do pet sitting. Some might do it as a side job, and others might be willing if they are familiar with your pigs situation.