Translucent Teeth

csegura

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello,

I’m a long time piggie lover but only made my account today. I have a bit of an emergency and I’m not unfimiliar
with Guinea pig emergencies. I wanted to ask the forum some advice. Boy is 5 years 6 months. He has fully stopped eating, no kibbles, veggies , hay. Barely drinking as well. I have him on critical care, it’s about the only thing he is willing to eat. He slurps it up as if he is very hungry and demonstrates he has an appetite. He did have diarrhea two days ago and upon a physical examination he has definitely lost weight but no abnormalities other then translucent teeth? Any idea if that is painful at all? Or the cause? Thank you

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 pm

I don't know about the translucency, but I'd want a checkup by a good exotic vet with rodent dental experiencem ASAP.

Give him plenty of critical care -- 100+ cc per day for every kilogram he weighs, divided into several feedings around the clock.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Yes, hand feeding and weigh once or twice daily.
handfeeding.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:35 am

As you're in Canada maybe one of these vets are close by? Or maybe a rescue can put you in touch with a vet they use? https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... 61fb297ae1

Keep up the handfeeding and weighing. Is his tummy hard and swelled out a little? Could he have bloat? https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html What ever is the matter with him he needs to see a vet ASAP! Hoping for the best.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 am

Translucency was demonstrated as the first symptom of dental disease by my girl. I suggest the teeth are looked at by a vet for spurs and malocclusion and if the vet doesn't find anything, head x-rays. We found low bone density and diseased teeth on our head x-rays. Luckily, it does have a simple treatment, but it needs to be diagnosed to stop it, otherwise it will progress.

csegura

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 pm

So I brought my boy to the vets. He has a few non common things going on with him such as the translucent teeth but also a white almost extended bone growth coming from the cornea in one of his eyes. Vet was stumped as well. One thing is for sure, it seems like he has a URI but an extremely recent one. We don’t know if it is a URI on its own or if it is a spread that happened as the vet also found a tumour in his mouth. It’s on the upper palate growing downwards towards the tongue. There is very little gap left between the tumour and tongue. Needless to say I’m sad as it’s a clear indication that his time is limited. Even if we are treating the URI it could very well be the mass in his mouth that has stopped him from eating. Does anyone know how common mouth tumours are ? Or what I can expect ?

Phantomhorse

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 pm

If that tumor is growing then he will eventually choke on it, as he will not be able to breathe. Your options at this point that I can think of would to be to
1.Discuss them removing that tumor and send it to pathology which will give him more time.
2. Ask about debulking the tumor. It isn't likely they will be able to do it, but it is worth asking about. Will come back, will only give him another week or two.
3. Just make him comfortable and love on him.

It sounds like he has multiple problems, so you need to decide whether you want to pursue the case, or just make him comfortable.

Lynx or someone else may be able to provide more advice. I am very sorry that this happened!

Kimera

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 pm

The white growth in the eye can be osseous choristoma, a benign growth which eventually will blind the pig, but is not painful or dangerous otherwise. Tumour in the mouth can be also a benign form of cancer, a papilloma, which can be surgically removed and rarely presents further problems.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Many good pics of eye conditions on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:40 am

I am so sorry you are going through this. Hoping your vet can fix the problem, Sending hugs and best wishes.

csegura

Post   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am

https://ibb.co/b9TKDG

I think you are right about the osseous choristoma, you can kinda see it in the above picture. It looks very similar. The Baytril has made him stop eating completely now. He would atleast eat the critical care on his own before . Now he won’t touch it. I had to syringe feed him last night. Things aren’t looking great :( it looks like he has a lot of trouble breathing. The sounds coming out of him breaks my heart. I sure hope the tumour is benign, either way he isn’t strong enough for surgery at this point. I appreciate all your comments and support.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

He is awfully cute. It is so hard when a guinea pig you care about so much has serious medical issues. If you can get hold of the vet and let him know about the inappetence & Baytril, perhaps he can prescribe something else.
www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html