Guinea Pig Lump under Chin neck area

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 am

So glad he's doing well. Hoping the X-rays give the all clear. Great news he's put on some weight too. Way to go you! Great job!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 pm

That is good news! I too hope he continues to do well.

cucuzel

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:44 pm

The vet took another X-ray. The good news is that the vet said the mandibular bone looks good. They operated on him again, they drained another abcess that was situated deeper, they filed his molars. He lost some weight again during that day when he traveled and had the surgery. Now he's holding the weight. He's still eating well and has daily visits to the vet for antibiotics and lavage. Unfortunately, the first time he had his surgery they did an antibiogram, but the bacteria didn't survive the extraction and wouldn't grow, so they couldn't blast it with antibiotics and tell if they worked. They're doing another one now, I hope they can get some results. Also it' s really strange that they had to file his molars this time because his regular vet told me they had filed them during his first surgery. Did they grow again, or maybe they filed different ones?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Teeth do grow quickly - and the gums may have receded after the first filing making it apparent more filing was needed.

Hoping for recovery.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Hoping all goes well. When Jessie needed her teeth filed she got it done every 2-5 weeks, but then she wasn't feeding herself. She broke an incisor once and within 7 days it was nearly back to normal. Hoping things continue to improve! Way to go to you both!

cucuzel

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

He got his stitches out today. The vet said everything looks great and stopped the antibiotics. He’s holding weight and eating well. He’s active and looks happy. We’ll go in for a check-up and a lavage in three days. I was thinking of giving him a break for at least a couple of weeks, he’s been through a lot... but maybe then I should take him to the vet for another X-ray? The first time he had his surgery they also took one of his lower incisors out, and the vet said it wouldn’t grow back, and it didn’t; it’s been one month. Nevetheless he’s eating well and seems adjusted to his missing incisor. The second antibiogram failed as well, the bacteria died before they could grow a culture.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 pm

This sounds very encouraging. I hope all continues to go well for him.

cucuzel

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 pm

My little piggie is doing great. He’s eating well and even putting on weight. I am a bit concerned because his upper incisors seem to be a bit long. One of his lower incisor was extracted, he has ine left. He doesn’t seem to have any difficulty eating, he’s not avoiding any foods like he used to with carrots and other hatd vegetables. But I would like to know if his upper incisors need to be filed, I would like to avoid any further problems with his molars due to his not chewing well. I know I posted a picture here of a different problem some time ago, but I forgot how to do it. Could I post a picture and get an opinion?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 pm

As long as he's eating ok and his incisors are straight across, I wouldn't do anything to them. A major sign of trouble would be if they're slanted, but then you need to work on the molars, not the incisors.

cucuzel

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:56 pm

He’s eating ok, but at a second look the upper incisors do seem to be a little slanted.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Then I'd have his molars checked again. But if the slant is because of the missing tooth, you may have to have regular trimmings. You can get the vet to teach you to do that yourself with bone rongeurs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Read over www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html and look at the pic at the bottom. There is often compensation with one tooth. Read over the malocclusion page too.

One of the concerns to to watch the remaining tooth to ensure it does not grow so long it contacts the roof of the mouth.