gadget gizmo cowbell cello 3 URI

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 pm

You can't tell that they're losing weight if you're looking at 8 and 10 grams. That's about what one teaspoon of water weighs, so if they peed just before this weighing and didn't before the last one, that can account for the difference.

Here's a post I wrote for another forum: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/th ... vegetables

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 pm

A helpful page on weighing:
weigh.html

And a page describing favorite foods for guinea pigs:
fave.html

See also:
diet.html

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 am

Weigh them in pounds and ounces. Worrying about a few grams is useless. My general advice is always: One ounce loss - no big deal. Two ounce loss - be watchful. Three ounce loss - something is wrong and needs seeing to.

Also, I always gave my pigs red or green leaf lettuce as a daily staple. Then added small bits of other things for interest (carrot, bell pepper, a leaf or two of spinach, Swiss chard, etc.). Broccoli is part of the cabbage family and can cause gas and stomach upset. Celery has very little in the way of nutrients. And kale is okay in small amounts but, like spinach, has lots of calcium and should be given sparingly.

portera4242

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:26 am

bell peppers are hit and miss with the girls so far I'm unable to find the Swiss chard and the spinach looked kinda past at my local grocery so I'll wait till they restock I bought the girls dandelion weeds and turnip greens to which they are eating and trying aren't terribly thrilled bit aren't ignoring either

Gadget and Cowbell are sounding much better but gizmo poops are light green in color normal texture and cello still seems to have that wheeze to her squeak.

calling the vet today as they said give the meds to Monday to see about getting the girls an appointment

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm

portera4242, please read this post:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711
If you take the time to use proper capitalization and punctuation, it makes posts so much more readable.
Thanks!

CavyGirl04

Post   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm

A couple tips on getting them to eat more:
Make a "lettuce burrito" with new, scary food inside. Usually, if I can fool my pigs with the first bite, they realize that bell pepper or cucumber or whatever is is actually yummy and not going to kill them.
Put super-small pieces of it in with their pellets so they get used to the taste while eating pellets.
Offer it several times (that's how I got them to finally try celery)
I hope this helps. If you can get them to eat bell pepper, that would be really good. It's really healthy for them with a lot of vitamin C and not too much sugar (feed green pepper, not other colors).

portera4242

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 am

So the vet actually told me she wants the girls to have more red bell peppers while the girls are on the antibiotic which has cleared up Gadgets wheeze and Cowbell and Cello are sounding much better.

I've been sneaking the red peppers in their bowl and it's been working. Now they've started eating it when I leave it out for them but I'm still sneaking some just in case. Thank you so much CavyGirl04 for the tips.

The vet said to encourage alfalfa hay as I can't find baby guinea pig food that's in a small enough bag and to mix the oxbow adult food in with the fiesta and not to just swap out.

3 more doses left of antibiotics and I feel like the worst mommy ever Gizmo hates me so much when she sees the syringe and she at the vet had to get a dose of critical care because she was losing that little bit of weight consistently so she is so done with us. The vet had said she didnt like how she was losing weight while being possibly sick and as a baby guinea pig that was too much weight loss that she needs her energy to keep from getting more sick.

I'm thankful Cello and Cowbell love the raspberry taste they see the syringe and start taking the meds themselves no fuss. It's a huge fight with Gizmo and Gadgets certainly not thrilled about the starting of taking it but when she realizes its yummy is fine.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 am

It sounds like you are doing well. The only thing I'd say is that the vet is wrong about mixing the fiesta with the good pellets to get them used to it. It is good advice for cats and dogs but not for guinea pigs. You want them on the nutritious food as soon as possible. And it will not upset their stomachs to switch over suddenly (like it would for cats or dogs to switch to a new food).

When running the rescue, pigs would come in and we would have no idea what they were eating before. Most of the time, they were not getting decent food and were malnourished and thin. So feeding them a nutritious diet was very important and the sooner the better. The same with your pigs. Fiesta is terrible food. You are not doing your pigs any favors by continuing to feed it to them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am

Ditto WICharlie.

portera4242

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 am

I was afraid of putting them on adult oxbow because they're babies that was the intent on mixing the fiesta in.

Gadget and Gizmo were taken off antibiotics. Gizmo seems fine Gadget has had one little rasp they want to see her if I hear it again.

Cello and Cowbell were moved to a new antibiotic.

All four girls will have a follow up after regardless to make sure that we are completely clear

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 am

They can eat te adult Oxbow just fine, with a little parsley thrown in. Fiesta is crap food.

portera4242

Post   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:30 pm

We made the switch. Everyone but Gizmo is eating fine.

Cello and Cowbell are half way done with the second antibiotic.

Gizmo and I are currently in the emergency vet she stopped eating at noon and has been extremely lethargic is bloated and hasn't gone potty the last hour and a half.

They are going to do an xray and run tests and keep her for treatment.

I'm so scared we are going to lose her.