Growth on Nose

SnickersWhiskey

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi, I am taking my cavy to the vet this upcoming Tuesday but it feels far away so I wanted to see if anyone had any input in the meantime on what may be going on. Snickers is a 1 year old male, living with a single other one year old male. I just noticed a fleshy growth on the top of his nose this week, at first glance I had thought it was a piece of his paper bedding that they like to toss around. It's about a 1/4 in in diameter and is soft to the touch. It is not rounded but rather wrinkled. Almost seems like a cluster of skin tags? He is still behaving normally.

Thank you for any insight!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:55 pm

You are welcome to send me a clear, crisp photo to post if you wish. Otherwise, I would guess cheilitis too.

SnickersWhiskey

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Thank you, I emailed a front view and profile picture.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Here you go. It is a very unusual growth. I think you need a vet to figure it out (perhaps a fungal outgrowth?).

SnickersWhiskey

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Thank you for taking a look. I hope the vet will know what is going on with my poor piggy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 pm

I looked for skin issues in dogs that might be similar:

I ran into this rather dramatic picture of warts (Papillomavirus) on a dog:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 4001200013

Or maybe nasal hyperkeratosis in this picture:
https://naturaldogcompany.com/articles/ ... -in-dozer/

More possibility of warts, also a Papillomavirus :
http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/index.p ... llomavirus

And another here, where they say don't worry, this is a virus and it will fall off in a few weeks:
https://newtownsquarevet.com/your-dog-d ... ss-a-toad/
Not only are these warts benign (good news!) they are also self-limiting (great news!), which means that they require no treatment. Viral papillomas will dry up and fall off on their own, usually after several weeks to a month or two. These warts are not known to cause pain, discomfort or itching at all. Finally, and importantly, these are not contagious to humans, or other animals, but can be considered contagious to other dogs.

... There isn’t a specific test to confirm whether a growth is a viral papilloma, other than surgical excision and biopsy. However, we see enough of these to feel confident in the diagnosis without resorting to biopsies. Only if the wart persists beyond several weeks, if it rapidly grows or becomes ulcerated, or if it causes Fido discomfort, do we recommend removal and biopsy.

SnickersWhiskey

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you Lynx! Both of these do look quite similar to the growth on Snickers nose and ease my worries a bit. I will update with the vet's opinion after we meet tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

If there's any chance you can get a clearer picture to illustrate what is going on, I would be happy to post it. Lots of bright natural light would help your camera take the best picture.

I am very interested to hear what the vet has to say!

SnickersWhiskey

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I have emailed a hopefully clearer image. The vet believes it is most likely hyperkeratosis, as she found a small area of similar appearance on one of his feet. She said she cannot 100% rule out a wart, but the growth did not seem to go deeper than the skin so that made a wart less likely. She had never seen this on a guinea pig before but the diagnosis fits with his behavior of rooting around with his nose. My other pigs never did this, so I guess it is just a Snickers thing. Thank you for the advice and support. I am so glad it is just a cosmetic issue!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 pm

Here is your new picture (and one close crop). Glad you got some answers!