Possible ringworm? Please help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 pm

You could treat him for mites. It's an unusual place for them to be, but mites can cause that kind of insistent scratching and hair loss.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 am

Just popping by to say it looks very much like ringworm to me. My pigs have certainly had it around their eyes as in your photo. We've had a ton of ringworm trouble, and it often did not have the ring-shaped pattern.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 am

Google ringworm and click on Images -- you'll see the classic ring pattern. But ringworm is a fungus, like many of the other fungi that affect the skin, and the same treatments will work on either one. The organism that causes it is related to ones that cause jock itch and athlete's foot.

Christina4l

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am

The vet looked at a sample under a microscope and said it is not mites.
@mmeadow how did you treat your pigs when they had ringworm? Any tips about getting him to stop scratching it? ):

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Mites are very easily missed. I would never rule them out. However, as noted earlier, it does look fungal. Mites and fungus can be concurrent problems though.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 am

My guinea pigs have never had ringworm (knock on wood), but we just adopted 2 kittens that had it. We gave baths (not sure that would help in your case since its in the ear and around the eyes) twice a week; used an oral medication called Itrafungol (again, not sure its suitable for guinea pigs, but I know there are oral meds for guinea pigs that treat ringworm); and I used Monostat cream in VERY small amounts and rubbed it in good where the ringworm was on the face - above the eyes and on top of the nose. Like I said though, use a q-tip and extremely small amounts of the Monostat, at least in the ear. I'm not sure if it's safe around the eyes. Someone else more experienced can comment on that.

Remember, ringworm is extremely contagious and you and your family can catch it or spread it to the rest of any animals you might have. Wash your hands with soap and water each time you handle them, and wear one special shirt for when you handle the piggies. I use a very large t-shirt and keep it away from everything.

My vet told me its a very frustrating disease because it's hard to get rid of. Of course, we found out the kittens had it 2 days after they'd had the run of most of the house. Everything has/had to be disinfected.