HELP!!!

maregino

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 am

Hi,

My guinea pig is about 1yr and a half, and yesterday when I went to feed him I realized he'd not eaten, his eyes were gooey and his chin was wet (it had a terrible smell). He fights me off when I try to feed him and he's not urinating or defecating either.
I went to see the vet, and she asked for a ultrasonography but I have to wait until tomorrow to do the exam.. she thinks it's an urine infection or he ate something strange.
I'm giving him scopolamine but he's not getting better!
How do I feed him? What should I do?
Thank you

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 am

I can't imagine what scopolamine is supposed to do for him?

Wet chin and gooey eyes wouldn't be part of a urine infection. That sounds like upper respiratory or other infection. The vet didn't give you anything? What was the vet's opinion of the eyes and the chin? Was his lungs clear??

You need to hand feed him, because if he's likely not defecating because there's no food in him. This is REALLY important. There's information on handfeeding here: https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:47 am

Stop the scopolamine -- it's not going to be of any use at all for your pig.

You need a better vet. The wet chin and terrible odor indicate a possible mouth/tooth problem, and the gooey eyes could indicate a respiratory infection.

Ditto on the hand-feeding. Guinea pigs MUST eat all the time. A guinea pig that's not eating is a guinea pig that's dying. You need to aggressively hand-feed him, and see a different vet.

maregino

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 am

The vet gave the scopolamine and said that the wet chin would problably be 'cause he has stomach pain (in the case of he swallowing a foreign obejct)
I'm hand feeding him NOW. I thought maybe I'd make a wet food and give him on a syringe?

Anyway, thank you guys so much.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 pm

That's definitely the way to hand feed him.

But I'd definitely see a different vet. There are exotic vets in Sao Paulo. I don't know who they are, but we've had users both here and at Guinea Pig Cages who have used them.

maregino

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Guys, thank you for the help!
My piggy has a stomach obstruction and there was so much gas it was about to break. He's going to surgery tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 pm

This is a difficult surgery. I am hoping for the best. Read over www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Kimera

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 am

I would venture to suggest that besides any stomach obstruction (if there is any), your piggie has teeth problems. There may be an infection somewhere, perhaps at the root of a premolar or a molar, which causes "gooey" secretion in the eye and pain when eating. Pain causes the guinea pig to stop eating, hence bloat and no poop, and the teeth overgrow, resulting in laceration to cheek or tongue. There is more pain and infection, that is why the piggie is salivating and there is a stink coming from his mouth.
The vet must absolutely check your piggie's teeth and correct/file down any irregularities. The guinea pig will then need pain medication and must be hand fed until he starts eating on his own.