I am very confused about bedding.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:40 pm

I wash my piggy fleece in my washing machine. I make sure all the hay and hair is swept off and wash on hot with an extra rinse. I add a little vinegar to the wash cycle.

I haven't had any problems with hair on our clothing and it is really no different than washing diapers when my children were babies. Back in those days diapers didn't come from a package.

newoldie

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 am

Do your piggies have litterboxes? If so, you could just put bedding in there.
I think cardboard bedding (clean, dust free, absorbent & good odour control) & kiln dried pine shavings or other types of bedding that can be bought in large bags could work out cheaper.
Kiln dried pine shavings are fine to use:clean, absorbent,good odour control), but:- choose medium to large flakes, not fine which are very dusty, store with bag open, make sure the pine smell is low to nil, & the cage must have good ventilation.
Just do what another poster said (sorry, forgot name) - spot check, fluff the bedding about to shake poos down to the bottom, remove any wet spots, refresh just those spots, do complete change once a week.
Having a thick layer of newspapers at the bottom can make changes easy. Just roll the top layers of newspaper with the bedding & dispose in rubbish.

newoldie

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 am

Sorry, meant to delete first sentence. I use loose bedding in the litterboxes & fleximats in the rest of the cage (google'trial thread for foam bedding'. It's an old thread in the guineapigforum) which are super easy to clean. The girls have hay bags, hay boxes & hay in hanging toiletpaper tubes as well as a handful of hay in the litterboxes which will need more regular spotchecks & refreshes.

But the idea of loose bedding in the whole of the cage is what other posters have said- you don't have to clean daily except for obvious poo&pee spots.

PaulreedDrz

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:14 am

Hi, I am confuse about the bedding of my pets and here in Australia I am not able to get the exact size bedding like coverlet. Could I use https://www.aushoppinghub.com/product-c ... coverlets/ they seems okay but size is the problem. Now I think that I will cut it in two pieces!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 am

Those are awfully expensive for guinea pig bedding!

Can you find fleece, either locally or online? Fleece over an absorbent layer works very well, and you can cut it to whatever size you need -- no hemming needed. The absorbent layer can be towels, mattress pads, wood pellets -- whatever will absorb the urine.

RKelly

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:56 pm

I use fleece, towels, and human pee pads. All of my fleece are throw blankets (not the fluffy fuzzy kind). I got them at Walmart for $2.50 or hand me downs. Towels were either hand me downs or the cheapo ones at Walmart. I was surprised how many people had old towels they were willing to give up. As for cleaning we just throw on a vinyl glove and steal poop by hand. Usually do a full change twice a week. I got a stiff plastic bristle scrub brush at the Dollar Tree that is great for getting those tiny bits of hay off the fleece. Cage stuff goes in a separate hamper til we go to the laundry mat.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Is fleece not easily found in Australia?

We got some fleece throw blankets at the thrift store and they also came with several yards of just standard off the bolt fleece from a craft store. The under layer is a furniture pad like this: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Pr ... ad?Id=2670 We brush the fleece off daily using a small dust pan and hand broom. In our case, the poop and hay go into a small trash can and that goes into our compost when it's full. The fleece gets a good shake before going into the washer. I don't cut the fleece to size. I tuck it under the under layer wherever it's too big. That also keeps them from digging under it.

I used other bedding with my previous pigs, and find this to be as easy or easier to maintain. It also seems to be easier for my daughter, who is only 9. Shavings can get heavy, especially if you use several layers of newspaper underneath (and we no longer get a daily paper so...less newspaper on hand). Which is not to say you shouldn't use it if that's available, but if you can find fleece I think that might suit you best. Does that help?